1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuning split humbuckers to adjust fullness

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by wabashslim, Oct 27, 2020.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I have a Carvin semi with a Carvin C22B bridge pickup. That's a fairly hot pickup with a touch of the cocked-wah sound in the mids. I have it set up with the slug coil nearest the bridge, so when I flipped the splitter switch it grounds the junction between the coils leaving the slug coil active. That left it too-thin, too-bright, with too much of a volume drop. So I inserted a resistor in the splitter ground path that leaves the screw coil in-circuit but reduced in output. After playing around with different values I decided on a 10k for the best balance between single coil-y clarity and guts enough for some Tele-like drive. Now I'm considering a 3-position switch to add a just-slightly-thinned humbucker sound using a bigger resistor, like around 51k.

It's a different effect than coils in parallel and doesn't need a different switch.

Golem likes this.
  2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Another way is to do a "spin-a-split". (use a pot to gradually split it) I used to do that when i used humbuckers because i never cared for tone controls so I'd use a tone pot for it.

Gardo likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Did this on my HSS Strat and love it.

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I've done that in the past but the 250k or 500k tone pots were so touchy in those top few degrees of rotation they behaved almost like switches....hard to dial in a precise in-between spot. I've got some concentric dual pots but unfortunately there's no space for that in this particular guitar.

5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This sounds like the wiring in the PRS DGT. I don't remember what the value of their resistor is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.