1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuning shift: could it be my truss rod?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HBamps, May 18, 2010.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Tuning shift over night

I recently finished a new tele build and it sounds great. I really love the guitar and there is nothing I want to change with it. The only weird thing is that the tuning tends to shift when the guitar is left for a period of time (like over night). It can go flat or sharp depending if it’s gotten colder or hotter.

Now I know it’s not that unusual, but I am talking pretty small changes in temperature (from one evening playing and left out till the morning). It’s spring in California, not that much temp swing… It’s not really a concern either but I find it curious as my other guitars don’t seem to be as susceptible to it.

I started thinking if it could be that my truss rod is not tight, letting the wood move more than if it were snug. I tried to adjust it last time I changed strings and it was very loose. I turned it a half turn to just begin to feel some resistance. It’s an Allparts TMO-FAT neck.

Any ideas?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.