Tuning Process With Capo

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never really played with a capo but this week we have a song which is really better with capo at third fret. What is your steps for tuning with a capo. It seems I'm having best results with tuning open a little flat, add the capo, then tune up to pitch, tempering open capo strings and fretted notes.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes to all that.

Depending on the axe I will slide the capo around and even angle it slightly to get the intonation best.
I've seen some guys even place it directly on the fret wire. *In your case, right on the wire between the 3rd and 4th fret.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I usually have to tune my low E just a little flat when using a capo ( and I use one, a lot) - I already do a few tuning things anyway on my Martin ( with or without capo)

- I tune my 2nd string just a little flat so a D note ( 3rd fret) is not sharp, as I play a ton of stuff using 1st position G/C/D chords- bluegrass...
- I tune my low E string at 3rd fret ( G note) so it is in tune with open 3rd string (G) so, a little flat from E pitch- just a little

* place capo right behind fret- better intonation if closer to fret

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
James Taylor has a tutorial on YouTube, or his website.
His method is very precise, and he takes his tuning very seriously.
Personally, I just apply the capo (properly), and use my clip on tuner.
It seems to work for me.
I almost never use a capo, though.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I just out the capo on, carefully (don't bite too hard, put it near the fret but not so close you're trying to jam the strings into an impossible bend) and away I go. Close enough for rock-'n'-roll 9 times out of 10! If it's out of tune I retune but I don't find putting the capo on upsets the tuning.

Winky

Tele-Holic
I usually have to tune my low E just a little flat when using a capo ( and I use one, a lot) - I already do a few tuning things anyway on my Martin ( with or without capo)

- I tune my 2nd string just a little flat so a D note ( 3rd fret) is not sharp, as I play a ton of stuff using 1st position G/C/D chords- bluegrass...
- I tune my low E string at 3rd fret ( G note) so it is in tune with open 3rd string (G) so, a little flat from E pitch- just a little

* place capo right behind fret- better intonation if closer to fret
The 2nd string slightly-flat thing is really the only tuning thing I will do deliberately. It can make those open G and D chords sound much nicer (I don't notice it as much with the C). I might play around with the low E as per your suggestion.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The 2nd string slightly-flat thing is really the only tuning thing I will do deliberately. It can make those open G and D chords sound much nicer (I don't notice it as much with the C). I might play around with the low E as per your suggestion.

It's a minor tweak and it may just be on my particular Martin D-1 ( a well-used best friend) but my ear is just really aware of that low E string! Bugs me when not 'just right' , Ha!

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I like using a capo with adjustable tension. Put it on with just enough tension to keep from falling off, then tighten it till all (capo'd) open strings ring clearly, then adjust tuning as needed (though I rarely if ever need that last part, assuming the guitar was tuned in the first place).

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
my shubbs are easily adjusted for pressure. I do find I angle them quite a bit to get the tone nice and often close to on the fret. I always aim to tune (up) using the internal or clip on tuner. I pull on the strings before tuning up too to make sure they are stretched.

I think a lot will be down to practicing with the particular guitar and the influence the radius, fret size, string gauge and the capo design itself make

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s easier to start with the capo and tune to pitch with a clip on tuner. I pull on the strings a bit before bringing them to pitch if I use a capo after I’ve been playing a while. But isn’t this why we keep telling ourselves we need a “backup” guitar. Have it ready when you need it.