Tuning Machine Frustration

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SuprHtr, Mar 13, 2019.

1. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

My new FSR Affinity Telecaster has the worst tuning machines I've ever encountered. I know the tuner upgrade topic has been beaten to death here, as I've gotten many hits in several hours of searching. What I'm finding is that a quality, name-brand, true drop-in replacement for Squier is hard to find. Oh, and they have to be black! I don't mind having to drill two new pin holes, my simplest option, which is what I'll do. The Darrell Braun youtube channel has a video where he installs GraphTech machines in a Squier, with no drilling, but he doesn't provide a part number! He also states that HipShot makes a direct replacement (which I'm sure costs half as much), but again, no part number, and my searches have yielded no hits.

I'm mostly just venting here. I've got HipShot Fender replacements ordered. I probably missed the thread that tells me exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm tired. You would think that the on-line vendors of the major brands would give better descriptions of fitments for something as ubiquitous as a Squier.

2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

jackinjax and Bruxist like this.
  3. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

Ah, now I see I missed the locking plate part. As soon as I saw screw holes, I passed, since I had no desire to add screws. No good logical reason for avoiding the screws, just preferred to keep the headstock a little cleaner looking. Oh well... I got these. HIP-6FL00B_A-1500__57270.1523193573.560.560.jpg

4. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Those will work fine, but keep in mind you may have 2 little nubs to drill holes for on each, and lining them all up may be tough.

SuprHtr likes this.
  5. hippychip

hippychip Tele-Meister

I have been using these for several years, and they are excellent.

[​IMG]

I have them on several guitars including this Partscaster.

[​IMG]

6. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

May I ask what makes you feel the tuning machines are that bad? From my experience what I thought were bad tuners turned out to be a combination of mediocre tuning machines and a really a bad nut.

noah330 likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I tend to agree, but believe it's seldom even cheap tuners at fault. Today's cheap tuners are all better machines than pre 50's tuners on Gibsons or any other...
    Today's case in point is: I have this cheap Tele type I love, but every time I pick it up, the G string is out of tune. So I bought Grovers and installed them last week just because I like the guitar and wanted to upgrade . (even though I know better... it's almost never the tuners) Guess what? I picked the guitar up this am.. G string out of tune! The nut has been tweeked, etc. It's like a poldergeist!

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Someone does makes an inexpensive, drill jig for drilling those locator pin holes. I imagine one could clamp a straight edge to the headstock and drill all the holes in true parallel to the straight edge, at least that's how I'd approch getting them all to line up.

SuprHtr likes this.
  9. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Perhaps consider putting nice tuners on your Affinity tele akin to putting a nice set of wheels or set of headers on a Toyota Tercel. What's next, some boutique pickups and a Glendale bridge? That is a cheap guitar with cheap parts that nonetheless plays fine as is. It will always have a cheap poly finish that screams cheap guitar, a Squier logo and a Made in Indonesia marking to remind you of what it is. There are no amount of parts that will turn that Tercel into a Camaro.

Perhaps don't install the tuners, and start saving parts for a nice parts tele build. I like MJT bodies, Warmoth necks, Rutters hardware, though there are many other options.

The tuning issues are guaranteed not tuners slipping. They are friction at the nut, string tree, saddles. Try some nut lube, buy some nut files instead of new tuners, sort it out.

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

How do you string the tuners? Usually that's the problem.

11. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

It's not that they don't hold tune. And the guitar so new that I haven't re-strung it. They feel spongy. They are fiddly to adjust compared to my ASAT. You turn a little more, a little more, and then they jump. And there's lots of backlash. I can conceive that it could be strings grabbing in the nut and may find that's part of it when I install the new tuners. And actually, I'm very happy with the rest of the guitar, especially for the price.

gip111 likes this.
  12. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

To me, that all sounds like the strings are binding in the nut slot. Try running some extra fine sand paper thru the slots and lube or shave some pencil graphite into the slots to see what happens.

Skip D and SuprHtr like this.
  13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Have you tried adjusting the screws that hold the tuner buttons on? They may need to be tightened a bit.

SuprHtr likes this.
  14. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

Remember this pearl of wisdom: It's almost never the tuners.
    First thing to do with a new guitar is to restring it and stretch the strings well. Check the nut slots, and the string trees, have it set up by a lutier. That should solve most of the problems. About the only reason to change the tuners is when you want locking tuners or a different gear ratio or a different colour.

15. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Definitely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.