Tuners: TU-3 or Polytune 3 mini?

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I still have two TU-2s. Both were left behind after gigs and sat in our lost 'n found box for months without being claimed, so I finally took them home. I've had them for maybe fifteen years and they were old then.

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Another recommendation for the Strobostomp HD. It can be set up for true bypass or buffered, the screen display color can be set to whatever you choose and you can read it from across the room, mutes when activated w/ no pop, tons of other features...and accurate to .10 of a cent. If you do your own setups, that accuracy comes in very handy. It's not a mini-pedal...but it takes up less a little less real estate than a Boss.
3BAFBE46-769F-43BA-8B11-A41C15E56BF1.jpeg 616F3B58-C57F-44C6-99F8-0965253F3BBE.jpeg

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
Another recommendation for the Strobostomp HD. It can be set up for true bypass or buffered, the screen display color can be set to whatever you choose and you can read it from across the room, mutes when activated w/ no pop, tons of other features...and accurate to .10 of a cent. If you do your own setups, that accuracy comes in very handy. It's not a mini-pedal...but it takes up less a little less real estate than a Boss.
View attachment 936826 View attachment 936827
Don't you find that level of accuracy a PITA on gigs?

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Don't you find that level of accuracy a PITA on gigs?
I don't gig, but if your guitar doesn't go wildly out of tune...it's pretty fast once you're accustomed to it. You get a sense from the speed of the spinning display just how much of an adjustment needs to be made pretty quickly.
Another plus I would think is the ability to change the display color. If a blue or green display is hard to see under the lights...you can change to yellow, red, etc.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Polytune 3 is great. Buffer or TBP. Big, easy to see display. Just the right tracking speed.

I like the Boss almost as much. All my other pedals are Boss.

I’ve used the TC for 5 years in a wild punk band. Still works. Not sure what the reliability concerns are?

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Lots of good recommendations above, but is there a specific reason for avoiding a headstock tuner? My TC PolyTune clip works great and frees up space on my board; I've had it a few years now, and the original battery is still going strong.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I’ve got the Polytune mini and it is right on with the virtual instruments ion my computer. I’ve got a couple of Snorks that are just a hair off.
A buddy of mine had a Boss tuner go bad after several years of hard use.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
Polytune 3 is great. Buffer or TBP. Big, easy to see display. Just the right tracking speed.

I like the Boss almost as much. All my other pedals are Boss.

I’ve used the TC for 5 years in a wild punk band. Still works. Not sure what the reliability concerns are?
Lots of anecdotal reports about switches, etc

Just ordered one. Will see how it goes!

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I have both the TU-3 and the Polytune 3 Mini. I got the Mini because I was creating a specific rig that needed to be as absurdly small as possible, but still wanted a decent buffer, which in the Mini is switchable.

Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the buffered sounds. The TU-3 is better for me when I'm not wearing my glasses, but the Mini works fine for its intended purpose - mostly because I use it sitting down, so it's easier to see to begin with. I also find the polytune mode to be super cool dark magic, but just a little more information that my brain wants to process when I'm in rock and roll mode.

All things being equal, I'd go with the TU-3, just because of the peace of mind that goes with using a Boss pedal, but I've had no issues with the TC.

True story: any time people corksniff about tuners, I remember how many pro (like, legendary) level acts I worked with when I was doing live sound/recording/radio work for a living. This was about 10 years ago now. You know how many of them used TU-2s? Basically all of them. You might see a Peterson or something on a guitar tech's bench, but on stage? TU-2. We'd joke about always forgetting to buy stock in Roland. If it's good enough for people who played Woodstock to people who play the Whiskey A Go Go, it's good enough for me.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I have both the TU-3 and the Polytune 3 Mini. I got the Mini because I was creating a specific rig that needed to be as absurdly small as possible, but still wanted a decent buffer, which in the Mini is switchable.

Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the buffered sounds. The TU-3 is better for me when I'm not wearing my glasses, but the Mini works fine for its intended purpose - mostly because I use it sitting down, so it's easier to see to begin with. I also find the polytune mode to be super cool dark magic, but just a little more information that my brain wants to process when I'm in rock and roll mode.

All things being equal, I'd go with the TU-3, just because of the peace of mind that goes with using a Boss pedal, but I've had no issues with the TC.

True story: any time people corksniff about tuners, I remember how many pro (like, legendary) level acts I worked with when I was doing live sound/recording/radio work for a living. This was about 10 years ago now. You know how many of them used TU-2s? Basically all of them. You might see a Peterson or something on a guitar tech's bench, but on stage? TU-2. We'd joke about always forgetting to buy stock in Roland. If it's good enough for people who played Woodstock to people who play the Whiskey A Go Go, it's good enough for me.
Yep, I love my TU2 and I've had it decades. It's just because I am putting together a small board that I need something other.