1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuners that fit Allparts .340" tuner holes

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by etype, Jul 9, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Putting together a partscaster with (and for) my son. All starts with a couple of leftover Fidelitron pickups. That is good, as he wants a Cabronita. Ordered the Warmoth body yesterday.

Been looking at an Allparts neck with .340" (8.64mm) tuner holes. The Allparts (Gotoh) 880s are perfectly sized for it, but they are out of stock and they only come in nickel and the pickup covers are chrome.

Any suggestions for vintage style tuners that will drop in without any modification?

Plan B is to go with the Hipshot chrome grip-locks which are 8.5 mm diameter. I assume being 0.14 mm smaller than the hole will work, but is that a bad assumption?

Plan C is to find a Baja 60s neck with original tuners loaded on it so I can skip this headache!

2. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

This would be good to know - I’ve used 5 Allparts necks and only once had exact fit. It’s no big deal to adjust, but would be nice to skip that step and be able to use tuners that fit out of the box.

etype likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

etype likes this.
  4. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I can't decide if having all chrome hardware except the tuning machines would look weird.

Anyone know if the 8.5mm Hopshots would fit the 8.64mm holes without issue?

5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

the Gotoh 0880's are due in in a couple of weeks.. the 18th if I recall... I'm waiting to.. but the Kluson vintage, available from WD will fit too.. with any tuners... you. usually must press the bushings into the neck. which gives some the willies.. it also creates doubt in the uninitiated that the hoses are the wrong size....

If you are reticent to force them in. getcha one of these reamers.. and give it a twist of two in each hole..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYLSNPK/?tag=tdpri-20

ron

etype likes this.
  7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

As it turns out, the Gotoh SD91s (what StewMac calls the Gotoh vintage, vintage locking or vintage staggered) are the exact same dimensions as the Allparts 880s. Or, Stew Mac says you need the 0.340" reamer, which is what Allparts specifies for the neck. Of course, none of these are available in chrome (I gotta start another thread about that!).

The Kluson H mount Revolution (non-collared) tuners need an 8.8mm hole, so very little reaming would be needed. At least they come in chrome. Ron, any Kluson flavors you particularly like or stay away from? They are all made by Ping (for the US market, I believe).

8. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I used the SD91 staggered and had to open up the holes slightly. I just reverse chuck an old drill bit with 60 grit paper taped around it and buzzbuzz it’s done.

etype likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

give these guys a shout... http://japarts.ca. it'll take a little longer but you can get Chrome or Nickel from them.

r

10. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

So THAT's where the chrome version is hiding! I saw on the Gotoh site that they had that option on the SDS510, but no one (that I had found) carried it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.