1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuners for LP Jr

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lenderman_k, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade the tuners on my Epi lp jr. Preferably something that is a direct replacement (no drilling) and hopefully in the $30 dollar range. Also if anybody has a recommendation for a dog ear p90 let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

2. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I used cheap Kaish 3 on a plate tuners (Gotah style) and dogear from Amazon on my Epiphone. The goal was to not spend too much on a cheap project. Both are perfectly functional. I don't have any other P-90s to compare it to, but it sounds great.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Take one of your tuners out and measure the diameter of the shaft, ID and OD of the bushing, length of the shaft. Go to one of the guitar parts web pages like StewMac and start comparing your tuner with the dimensions of their products. The little mounting screw on the back rarely lines up, you may have to fill and redrill that. The foot prints may be different and that may leave marks in the finish that the new tuners don't cover.

Once you find some that fit your holes you can decide if the price meets your requirements. I usually figure 60 to 90 bucks US for any tuner I would want to use....

4. Lunch meat

Lunch meat TDPRI Member

All parts has a three to a strip, budget kluson style with white buttons, $35.00 last I checked. Should work better and fit the style of the guitar.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have this 1998 Epiphone LP Jr that still has the stock tuners. In spite of them being covered gear trapezoid tuners they work just fine when strung with a "loop and lock" technique. You also have to have the nut slots cut right.

As for the pickup, it's still stock too. If yours measures in the 7k to 8k range you shouldn't need to swap it. I know some recent Jrs were made with 12k+ P90's and, if that's the case, you might want to swap those with something in the lower, more vintage, range. Ones from Artec or Fleor will do fine.

EpiphoneLPJR.jpg

6. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Thanks for the info guys

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.