1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuner rattle?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spupilup, Jan 26, 2021.

1. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

I was changing my strings when I notice that the low E tuning paddle rattles as does the peg on which the string winds. Plus the paddle turns far more easily than the other five. I hadn’t noticed anything unusual before removing the strings but I thought I’d run it by you folks for some opinions.

The guitar in question is an American Original 50’s Tele made in 2018.

TIA

2. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

I should mention these tuners are the original parts that came with the guitar.

3. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

It rattles with no strings on it?

If there are no tuning issues I wouldn't worry about that

4. boop

boop Tele-Holic

Does the paddle have a screw on the end of it? Does the tuner post have a threaded bushing that can be tightened? Guitars are vibrating things. I have noticed those parts to come loose occasionally on my own instruments.

5. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Yes, I only noticed the issue when I removed the E string. It wasn’t rattling before I removed the string. I haven’t had a chance to restring yet. A minor emergency came up but I should have the guitar restrung and set up within the next couple of hours.

I wasn’t terribly concerned as much as surprised. I’ve had to replace a tuner assembly on a new G&L and MusicMan bass in the last couple of years but that was because the paddles weren’t seated properly in the stem. Both companies just sent new tuner assemblies and that solved the issue.

6. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

No screw at the head of the tuner. These are replicas of the old 50’s style tuners so they’re pretty simple in their design. Short of removing the tuner assembly and taking it apart, I don’t see any simple fix.

7. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

All the better to play 'Shake Rattle & Roll' .....:rolleyes:

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

These vintage-style tuners often rattle when unstrung because there's no tension on the string post. There's often a little slop between the pinion gear and the worm.

As soon as you wind a string on the post and tune it up, the force exerted by the string rotates the pinion gear, which bears against the worm. That snugs everything up and prevents the knob shaft from rattling. Look:

[​IMG]

Modern tuners with the little screw at the end of the knob are adjustable. The 'slop' between the gear and worm is called "backlash," commonly called lash or play. This lash can be loose or tight.

By tightening the little screw on the end of the knob, you pull the worm into the pinion gear and that takes up that lash and makes things snug.

Overtightening this little screw can cause premature wear of the brass pinion gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.