Tuner Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jkingma, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I The switch on my TU3 broke... not as durable as I thought. I bought a Polytune 3 because I needed a tuner that Friday night.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  2. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I like the Boss TU-3. New for $99, less if you find a used one. I have about 8 pedals on my board so I like that it is buffered and can also be used to power another pedal or two. Plus it is easy for me to read in low light situations. I've never had a Boss pedal fail me.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  3. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

I'll tell you what NOT to buy: Deadbeat Sound Tuner Pedal. I figured it looked kinda cool and I couldn't go wrong for $30 on Prime. I was wrong; it's completely useless. And I'm past the return period...

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Me neither! And the TU is like the Telecaster of pedal tuners! I think they come with a 5-year warranty...though mine has outlived that by 10 years now.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've been using a Peterson headstock tuner for years and love it for when I'm setting up a new guitar, or after I've changed strings, or when i just want to go around and tune up all my guitars. But I find it moves around a bit and has fallen off a couple time.

I figure if I'm going to build a pedal board, I'm going to make room for a tuner. I don't have a lot of pedals anyway.

Asmith likes this.
  6. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

I own a Korg, it works pretty well.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    From the responses so far it seems to be a pretty even split between the the Boss and the Polytune.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Seems to me that they're all more efficient than my dad's 1930's A tuning fork but I'm a big fan of the the Polytune concept of quickly showing which of all the strings is off.

FWIW, I've used my Strobo tuner for setup, it's super detailed, but a quick tuning job with the Polytune makes most chords ring well. If I started fresh I'd use the strobe with phone app and a simple pedal for playing.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Another vote for Korg Pitchblack. Works for me, easy to see in the dark, also useful as a mute switch. Plus, if you use batteries, they last a long time in this one.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Probably can't go wrong with either one. A couple differences I noted...the Boss has 2 buffered outputs, so you can possibly use it split your guitar signal, run 2 amps, etc. Polytune has 3-year warranty, Boss has 5-year warranty. Looks like Polytune has a USB jack to connect to a computer, Boss does not. Polytune has something inside it that they call "BONAFIDE BUFFER"...not sure what that is, but the website may explain. I assume they both are capable of running on battery, but not sure. I frequently have gigs where amps and so forth are provided, and the only pedal I bring is my Boss TU-2 with a battery in it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

current fave is the GoGo horizon pedal -- huge display, easy to read in any circumstance, changes color as you go in & out of tune, doesn't seem to mess with the signal on or off. It was on Massdrop for cheap -- looks like that drop is over but worth a shot if they ever come back around. I have a pitchblack, too, and no complaints.

the thing I love about these is easy switching back and forth between guitars. I usually bring a second guitar tuned up for slide -- pop the tuner pedal into silent, switch guitars, quick tuning check and we're off to the races.

12. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I like my old TU2, but on a crowded pedalboard those Boss pedals are a little harder to access cuz you gotta push down the whole square flap of metal to turn it on. Sometimes I’ll get halfway thru kicking on a Boss pedal and realize the angle of my foot is only gonna be able to push it halfway down because of other pedals crowding it. The curvature of my pedalboard makes this worse. With polytuner it is a lot smaller footswitch, and a lot smaller pedal in general.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

One think I'll note about the Polytune is that the polyphonic tuning function (i.e. tuning all the strings at once) works well. I was dubious at first but it works great. I wish you could program alternate tunings for polyphonic tuning, but of course you can still use the Polytune as a chromatic tuner to tune each string accordingly.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Monoprice Chromatic Tuner pedal. $20. You can send the leftover money to me.

Functions perfectly as a basic tuner and you can vary pitch if you want.

Keefsdad likes this.
  15. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I use a BOSS TU-3, but it is not on my board. I think board space is better used with an actual effect, so the TU-3 lives in the cable bag and gets put on the floor just to the right of the pedalboard when it's time to play.

FenderLover and BorderRadio like this.
  16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have a Planet Waves/D'addario mini tuner on the headstock of each of the guitars I use on a regular basis, but still have a Korg Pitchblack on my board. I did have one outdoor gig where I struggled to read it in strong sunlight, but other than that one instance it is great and allows me to mute the signal when changing between standard/open G/12 String guitars.

17. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I own the Hardwire HT-6. I think I got it new off of Amazon for around 40 bucks.

Pros:
    Big, bright, easy to read display.
    You can set it for half step down, whole step down, and drop D.
    You can hit all the strings and tune them all at once. Good for fast in between song tuning.
    Indestructible.

Cons:
    Kinda big. A tad larger than a typical Boss pedal. If your board is short on real estate that might be an issue. However, because it's so big it's easy to stomp on to mute.
    The die cut piece of Velcro that came with it didn't stick to the pedal very well.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm another Pitchblack fan. I have two of them. It's kind of hard to go wrong with any of the tuners available from the major players these days. It all depends on the features and size you want.

Blue Bill and Junkyard Dog like this.
  19. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Someone mentioned all tuners fail...

My original TU-3 is a fairly early one. It’s been on my board since ‘93 or ‘94, I think. Couldn’t tell you how many gigs that is.

Bought a second one about 10 years later expecting to need it. It’s still my “at home” tuner. Might need it someday if I live long enough.

20. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Yep, this a great little tuner.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.