Tuner pedal recommendations

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by horseman308, Nov 17, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Why can I not post photos from Google Photos? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The site is no longer MIJ it is MIT :lol:
    That's a huge drop in quality

Stiles and E5RSY like this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Oooookay. :rolleyes:

4. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

I use a Boss TU3 for gigging but replace it with a Looper when I am at home for practice. I use a Polytune Clip On for home which I like a lot but have not been able to get comfortable with it gigging. I hope to though. But the Boss just plain works and it is easy to see in the sunlight when you switch the display mode for it.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. snorville

snorville TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I almost bought a Strobostomp, but in the decided to go with a Turbo Tuner ST-300 Mini. It is FAST and accurate (true strobe tuner) and has a smaller footprint than the Strobostomp. In addition to chromatic mode you can set up custom alternate tunings.

I do think the Strobostomp is a little more aesthetically pleasing, but it takes up a lot of real estate.

There aren’t a lot on Reverb, so I ordered directly from the manufacturer and they got it to me really quickly.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Sonic research ST-200 is by far the best tuner I've ever used.....by far.

snorville likes this.
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Extreme accuracy, it's great for strobing your bridge.

snorville likes this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I liked the tu2, and can totally see it's worth.

Bought at tu3, and felt like boss ripped me off. Many complaints about its buffer. They are cheaping out.

I think I've made my point. You don't need to defend boss, just go ahead and use it if it works. I know what I hear, and that's my opinion.

Cheers
    Axe

9. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

I use a Boss TU-3 ... upgraded from a Behringer TU300

The Boss pedal cost 3 times more ... but it doesn't change my by-passed tone ... it's more than 3 times more solid (thus gig worthy) ... it's lasting more than 3 times longer ... it's more than 3 times easier to use (quicker, brighter display, etc)

It seemed like a lot of money on a very unexciting thing, but it's the best pedal I've bought!

10. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

The Turbo Tuner ST-200 is exceptional. Much better than the Pitchblack or TU-2. I haven’t tried the TU-300 but if I ever need another tuner that will be my choice.

11. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I wrote this before my latest lesson, to which I brought a bass. The instant response of a strobe tuner really does make tuning a bass easier. I still got there with the TU-2, which has held up for who knows how many students and lessons, but having gotten used to the Strobostomp I immediately noticed a difference. This difference, for me, was more pronounced on bass than 6-string.

To judge from forum postings, the PolyTune is well-regarded by bass players as well.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I've used both Boss TU-2 and TU-3; never had a single problem nor any noticeable degradation to sound quality, with respect to the beat-up beer joints, VFW Halls amd/or tired little coffee houses I play in. There are much larger hurdles to the quality of sound perception in situ than the quality of materials/workmanship in the buffer circuit. If I was doing something different, maybe I'd use something else.

My evil twin Skippy says that a better buffer doesn't make me a better player.

I have ordinary headstock tuners at home (snark, et al) and they work fine. I have a tuner app on my iphone, it works ok, too. I was actually in a recording studio, using another iphone app, and the recording engineer there clued me into a better app. The one I was using at the time was overly sensitive and couldn't settle on TDC for even a nano-second. The one that works, (free, btw) plusadd Tuner PTU-2.

that's all I got.

dswo likes this.
  13. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.