Tuner pedal recommendations

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by horseman308, Nov 17, 2019.

1. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If you have a wah pedal early in your signal chain, I'd go with the Boss. If I put a wah pedal without a boss in front of it, it tone sucks something awful, with the boss tuner in front of it, no tone suck.

mexicanyella likes this.
  2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

3. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

That's an interesting point. I should have said this in the first post.

I do things a little bass ackwards on my board. I run a standard Cryaby with a true-bypass mod as the first pedal in my chain. Right now, my tuner is last before going into the amp. That's where it fit best on the board.

Here's the total chain:

Crybaby > Dyna Comp > MXR Custom B@d@ss OD > Mini Fooger Trem > Phase 90 > Mini Flashback > Tuner.

I make sure to always turn off all the previous pedals before tuning, but I really should move it before the wah and see how it works. I haven't really noticed any big tone suck, but a buffer isn't a bad idea.

I'll probably still get a tuner, but I should think through this part first.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Interesting. Apart from what's on the website, what do you like that sets it apart from the Boss, TC, or others?

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I'm with you! I have no need to spend more. These seems quite solid too.

6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I have the first gen Polytune and a Korg Pitchblack and they're both just fine. I don't know if they transpose like you want. You really should consider learning what notes you're tuning your strings to.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Sennheiser has a similar set-up, but word is the tuner is a little slow on the uptake. How is the Shure's tuning responsiveness?

8. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I do know the notes, as I often tune with a Snark at home. It's just that at gigs, where I might get just a couple seconds to check tuning between songs and guitar changes, it's easier to remember all the intervals in open E or open G by their "real names" than to remember them all but a half-step down.

But you're not wrong, either.

King Creole likes this.
  9. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

It's immediate, there is no delay that I notice. Its the GLXD16 model. It has a stack of features which I have barely looked at including alternate tunings etc. - all good for the tweakers out there. Really a snark does the trick for anything around home... but not good live cuz where I need the ability to see in the dark and be able to mute while changing guitars.

The bonus of combining the tuner and the wireless into one pedal (which is bullet proof) is smart and gets rid of a lot of junk. The wireless is top notch and has a rechargeable long life battery. Really IMHO cant be beat.

10. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I agree, the Peterson Strobostomp HD is the best, it's in real time, (so it's fast), it will do buffered, or unbuffered and it's very, very accurate. A little pricey @ $129, but will do a lot of stuff, alternate tunings, different instruments, large and easy to read display, and even a choice of different background screen colors. The only downside is it is a battery eater, if you don't use a DC power supply!
    20191119_230538.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Bopcat likes this.
  11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Which is a HUGE plus.
    What better way than start you effects chain with a nice buffer in order to preserve your signal?

E5RSY and etype like this.
  12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Love my TC electronic noir (black) mini. You will never buy another tuner. Had a few. This is the one

13. Axegrinder77

True, and I wish they had better quality buffers. Made in Taiwan garbage now. Imho.

14. Nick Fanis

Nah,

Good enough for MILLIONS of players in the history of music,good enough for me,never had a problem with "sound degradation" using BOSS pedals,but of course I have the bad habbit of listening with my EARS not through the internet or my EYES :D

go to 7.34

15. Axegrinder77

Lol, and you think the pros use the new made in Taiwan stuff - with no mods.

MIJ boss is very expensive. It's good iconic gear, but you're in boutique pricing.

16. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Korg Pitch Black+ (on my pedalboard) or a Peterson Strobo Clip.

17. Nick Fanis

You are still listening with your EYES,there was NEVER a MIJ TU2 ...ALL where made in Taiwan.

The entire BOSS pedal line was made in Taiwan since 1990...(until the recent waza thing came into play)

E5RSY likes this.
  18. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I have the Joyo pitchblack copy, works great. I also have a Joyo Power Tune, which has a built in power supply to power the rest of the pedalboard, also works great.

Most recently, I put a Zoom MS-50g on my board. I use it for EQ and Reverbs, and as a tuner, saving on real estate. It's also there in case my amp dies and I need to run direct to the board with an amp sim.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The boss

20. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I've used the Korg Pitchblack since about 2010 -- does what is says on the box and is built to last.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.