Tuner on my DAW always reads sharp for +1 second

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by awasson, Aug 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hey, I have a question for those who are recording on a DAW.

I use Reaper and it has a tuner plugin called Real Tune. It seems decent but when I check my tuning, my strings read sharp for a second or more before settling. My low E will read sharp for maybe a second or a second and a half and then settles on pitch, A is a little less time, D even less and so on.

I wonder if it’s a latency in the tuner or if my guitars are ringing sharp on the attack of the notes.

My concern is that some of the material I’m recording has fast staccato chording and if the strike of the chord is sharp, how is that going to effect the recording.

Has anyone else run into this anomaly?

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Play the note more softly

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Maybe you are picking too hard. Maybe that's your thing - and that's cool too.

If your music consists of mostly fast picked notes - tune to the attack.

If other guitar parts are sustained notes and/or have light picking, tune to the sustain.

You can also tune to sweeten certain chord shapes (inversions) to get those minor and major 3rds just right. Then overdub where needed.

Guitars are lots of fun this way!

Btw Reatune is excellent and very useful for setting intonation and tuning. I always use it to check tuning before hitting record, for each and every take if possible.

aerhed, RLee77 and beagle like this.
  4. awasson

That’s my concern. I don’t play rhythm guitar softly. I don’t play lead softly unless the song needs it. Is it the tuner in the DAW misreading or is the initial attack of a chord strike going to be sharp?

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

You could run the reatune plugin pitch correction over it to address any minor pitch problems. Not tried it on this but it can be fine tuned.

Unless you can hear it, I’d not worry though.

The pitch often momentarily reads high if the pick makes the string ring and pushes it aside. Latency in the tuner algorithm that averages out over time may not be initially reliable. Not a lot of data early on.

awasson likes this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

If you have background programs running, this seems to happen. Try optimizing your computer for recording. (google)

7. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I think there may be three factors at play here:

1. Yeah strings do that momentarily, but should return to pitch as the energy you injected into the system by hitting the string dissapates. There is a relationship between how hard you can hit a string and how light the string is. Light strings flap under pressure!

2. Software tuners are often more accurate than you need in a real-life situation. The tuner in Logic Pro registers slightly sharp if I even touch one of the tuners. That's maybe more information than I really need.

3. Yeah, that tuner in Reaper seems to be reacting very slowly, and that may be down to latency. Or it may be that the designer thought a certain amount of 'hold' to the reading would be useful.

The bottom line though is: "Do the guitar chords actually sound out of tune to you?" If the answer is yes, I'd try tuning to the actual chords your are going to play. If the answer's no, I'd not worry so much what the tuner says.

tintag27, AAT65 and awasson like this.
  8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The tuner in Reaper is very sensitive, another string still ringing makes it a bit sluggish. Kill each string before tuning trying the tuning again, a fresh note usually rings true.

Your input level may also be too high.

tintag27 and simoncroft like this.
  9. awasson

I think you guys are right. I think it's latency and the tuner is slow. I tune it so that the pitch that it eventually settle to is correct. I hadn't really considered that the latency would be that large but I guess it is.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Cheers,
    Andrew

simoncroft likes this.
  10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I see that in pretty much every tuner - pedal tuners, snarks, tc electronic, etc, particularly with a moderate to heavy pick attack. I generally just wait until the tuner settles after a second or so.

studio and simoncroft like this.
  11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

When you pluck the note, it's movement makes it tighter and sharper. Happens more on the bulkier strings which carry more momentum i I think.
    As recommended above pluck softer when tuning or try picking near the bridge where you don't induce such wide string vibrations.

12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

try making sure your headstock is pointed towards magnetic north when you play. (remember its migrating so check your co-ordinates daily)

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.