1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuner knob inserts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by s_tones, Nov 26, 2020.

1. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

2D47830B-6A44-4774-8661-56519D20AA1A.jpeg 5DD9A8D0-EE7A-4DD3-BF5A-6A9815DB0D48.jpeg 1AB750C3-5E1F-4B61-9E95-88B3EBE3DA79.jpeg Today im making gotoh style tuner knob inserts. First knobs wood only. Bad plan.
    second batch, ss tubing squished to fit shaft. Bad plan. (Work “OK”). So new frontier! Milling brass fittings. 3 jigs and a ton of modeling. But, hey, wadaya gonna do?!

crazydave911 and jfgesquire like this.
  2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I've done those before. A lot of work, but can be very worth it. I wish there was an easier way...

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

Agree. With the jigs and routines eztablished its maybe 1-1.5 hrs to make a set but i can be doing other things to some extent. But they are pretty much essential to a functional set of knobs.
    And I have a LOT of time on my hands lately...

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

LMII sells some beautiful wood knobs that have brass inserts for the set screws. As I recall the inserts are knurled where they are pressed into the wood. I'm guessing they are a commercial item but have no idea where to get them. Both 1/4 and 6mm shafts

https://www.lmii.com/search?controller=search&s=knobs

I've used the LMII knobs on several guitars, I think they add a really nice touch

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I get beautiful knobs from them. Would be silly to make the pot-knobs as they are very high quality and affordable.
    The tuner knobs are a different story, particularly the dainty little Gotoh ones. The can be found online but they are frequently beefier or have no metal insert.
    Wood will just break ultimately. The narrow end of the knob is just too fragile to be unsupported.
    And the Gotoh tuner shaft is oddly shaped/sized. It's a 4mm diam shaft with opposing flat sides. Impossible to find an insert like that.
    I see that Gotoh is now advertising custom wood knobs! But I can't find anyone who sells them yet and it's not clear whether they have an insert for the shaft.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

All tuners are like that, with the flatted shaft. I've done both Gotoh and Hipshot style that way. If you go to SportHiTech, they have a wide selection that fit several brands, but I can't recall which off the top of my head.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Huge respect. Anyone that makes their own parts is a shopmonster in my book.

Nice work, s_tones!

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I looked at the thread title and totally spaced the "tuner" part. I use Waverly for most of my acoustics and they make some lovely but very expensive wood knobs - all my other guitars get metal or plastic ones.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.