Tuner for my pedal board that can be visible in daylight

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Brian L, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Edwin

Edwin Banned

New tweaks are good to know. I just plug it in and use it in the common way and my batteries last about a year, but then again I'm just a week end warrior and use the tuner so everyone in the band is on the same page. I've found that the accuracy varies from different tuner makes. We all use Polytune.

2. zingy

zingy Tele-Meister

I actually own 4 tuners:
    - Sonic Research Turbo Tuner (fastest and most accurate, but no poly mode, superexpensive)
    - PolyTune Noir Mini (the Best PolyTune, tiny, no battery powered option, no extra power out)
    - PolyTune (great, use it to power an extra pedal on my main pedalboard)
    - Korg PitchBlack Chrome - great, no poly but fast and accurate

All have great bright screens, but I got really spoiled with the poly mode on the TC :D

3. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Right, I didn't mean that other makes are not accurate but when the bass player uses a Korg and the other guitar player uses a Snark clip on the instruments seem to be just out of whack to sound off to each other and never mind the piano. I don't think string instruments can ever intonate perfectly but when we all use the same brand of tuner we get pretty close to each other.

4. zingy

zingy Tele-Meister

@Edwin: Come to think of it - that sounds about right! In my main band, my bass player and I use the TC and we gel totally tuning wise; but in the other band the singer/guitarist is using a boss, the bass player is using a clip on tuner and I use the Turbo Tuner and we're constantly having tuning sync issues. Thank you for this one, I'm gonna check it at our next practice.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The TU3 is upgraded for that..I got one after last summer outside stuff.

6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Korg Pitchblack...
    once I put one on my pedal board I traded my TU2 to a friend for an AB pedal.
    Once you go Pitchblack you'll never go back!

7. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Do NOT go for the Sonic Research TurboTuner if you're looking to use it in daylight - the readout is completely unreadable.

This is the only negative comment I have ever made about the TT - it's absolutely brilliant in every other way, but far too dim to use unless its dark or else you're in the shade.

8. sagaci

sagaci Tele-Meister

Have a Polytune 1, but looking to get one of the new Polytune 2 units.

9. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Erm, it is in Stomp-Box :confused:

10. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I posted this to the duplicate thread...

Get a piece of red gel, (the plastic sheet used to change the colors of lamps), from a local theater and tape it over the display of your TU-2. You can also cut tiny pieces for your other pedals with on/off red lights.

Way cheaper than a new tuner...(and does someone really have four different tuners?)

11. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Cool! I can see that working really well. You can learn a lot around here.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously? You need tuner therapy.

13. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

You guys are great. Thanks for all your input. Still undecided.

14. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Zingy has four tuners and likes the Polytune. That might be an indication.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

peterson strobostomp II

I play in the daylight frequently, it totally works.

16. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Here it is.

http://www.kosmic.com.au/boss-tu-3-chromatic-tuner/

You can get tuners here for $12. I'd rather put that towards another set of strings. Or $12 worth of picks.

17. zingy

zingy Tele-Meister

Some tips and guidelines

It's a disease. I kept throwing more tuners at it but it didn't help. PolyTune seems to have slowed down the cravings, but PolyTune 2 is coming out so... :D

BTW, they're all on separate pedalboards, I posted some pics of my boards here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/55703-show-us-your-pedal-board-280.html

TU-3 has a nice bright display too. Bottom line is, check the tuners mentioned in this thread and pick whichever suits you - be sure to mind the following:
    - does it change my guitar tone? Plug the guitar directly into the amp, play for two minutes, then add the tuner to your signal chain and play again. If it kills your tone (i.e. one of these symptoms: loss of highs, loss of bass, loss of dynamics, volume drop, adding gain etc.), that indicates a low quality buffer or at least some signal loss/distortion (TU-2 is a prime example of bad buffering). True Bypass tuners generally influence the tone less, but a quality buffered pedal will do a great job too.
    - does it tune fast? Trust me, on stage, seconds count and losing nerve when the tuner doesn't pick up your strung tuning fast enough can be quite a mood killer during a great gig.
    - how does the switch feel? That's what many a guitarist overlooks. Be sure that the switch feels sturdy and you know 100% that when you press the switch - you can feel the click and know when it will turn on. That's mostly the problem with Boss switches - you know it's on when you press it completely down and feel the bump of the pedal against the casing; any half press of the switch is a guessing game. I personally don't like that much, my friend has big problems with her TU-3 during gigs because of this.
    - how accurate is it? Unless you have a top notch strobe tuner, there's no way of checking this so you'll have to take the manufacturers word on it for each and every pedal, checking the manual or the box. The newer pedals are all accurate, this rule applies to older tuner pedals (or some newer cheaper pedals, Artec has big issues with accuracy AFAIK).

Hope these tips help, I designed these after a lot of trials and tribulations with older tuner pedals and handheld tuners.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Snark.

I hate outdoor daylight gigs, and not being able to see the lights on my pedals, is one reason why.

The last outdoor daylight gig I did, I clipped on a Snark, and plugged straight into the amp, no pedals, except the amp footswitch.

Did the entire gig by just turning the volume control up and down for leads.

I usually dont do that, I'm a pedal guy, but, it sure made that outdoor daylight gig MUCH MUCH EASIER.

The Snark worked great in the broad daylight.

19. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

How many depends on how long you've been collecting them
    Arion HU-30 (box w mic/jacks)
    Intelli clip-on (2 of those)
    Korg AW-2 clip-on
    Snark clip-on
    Peterson StroboPlusHD (jacks, mic, everything)
    Peterson Strobo-Stomp2 pedal (2 of them), which are clearly visible in daylight but are overkill if just for tuning (intonation tool).

20. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

It might have been said already but the new TC Electronic Polytune 2 has improved on this, I believe

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.