Tuner bushings necessary?

LunarSlingShot

Tele-Holic
I have an old samick p bass copy. When I got it it didn’t have any tuners in it.

I had no idea what tuners to buy for it so I bought some vintage style Squier bass tuners for it, only it turns out the tuner holes on the samick are too big for the bushings that came with the tuners.

I don’t really care about the looks if that’s the main part of having the bushings as the bass is fairly trashed cosmetically and im ok with that as it’s just my beater bass.

If I just screwed the tuners to the headstock do I even need the bushings?

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You need the shafts of the tuners to stay centered in the headstock holes. Without the bushings, string tension would pull the shafts off center, probably breaking them off down where they attach to the gears.

dan1952

Friend of Leo's
The shaft on the tuner will likely lean under the pressure of the tightened stings, and may not work for long. You need to get some tuners that fit.

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
This does not apply to the bass guitar .
Back in the day , pre war era , Martin did not use tuning machine bushings . In fact , my first acoustic build is done this way . I have never seen a side mounted tuning machine that had a bushing . Please note that I said that I have never seen . This does not mean that it doesn't exist . On the other hand , if it does , I would love to see pictures or even be able to handle the guitar for my own curiosity's sake .
With the increase of tension for each string on a bass , I will lean towards the side that says they are necessary . It makes me wonder if those old EB Gibsons and others of the era used a bushing on their side mounted bass tuning machines .
Since you are now at this juncture , I say give it a try and please report your findings here . You can always install some bushings later .

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'd guess that using bass tuners without bushings or at least a hole the same size as the post is like using a drill press as a sander. The bearings eventually fail unless they are supported. A bunch of cheap guitars don't have the bushings, but they have holes that are just a smidge bigger to offer support like a wooden bearing would.

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd guess that using bass tuners without bushings or at least a hole the same size as the post is like using a drill press as a sander. The bearings eventually fail unless they are supported. A bunch of cheap guitars don't have the bushings, but they have holes that are just a smidge bigger to offer support like a wooden bearing would.
I will never be so bold as to call a pre war Martin a cheap guitar . With that aside , what about the Gibson EB's and Ampeg Basses with side mounted tuning machines ?

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member

zhyla

Tele-Meister
You can do the standard drill and plug with dowels trick, then re-drill for the right size. Making it look right would be hard.

Maybe fill with black epoxy and re-drill for the new bushings.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Fair enough .
I'm not willing to make such a broad based statement .
No input concerning the Gibsons and Ampegs ?

Going back to my original statement....I said " I'd guess"....means I think the bass tuners without ferrules could fail. Of course they could hold up too. A guess is a guess....lol. I have no experience with Gibson or Ampeg tuners other than the EB-O that I have here in pieces.

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
Going back to my original statement....I said " I'd guess"....means I think the bass tuners without ferrules could fail. Of course they could hold up too. A guess is a guess....lol. I have no experience with Gibson or Ampeg tuners other than the EB-O that I have here in pieces.
I fear that I am not being clear .
The bass tuning machines that I am referring to are the side mounted type that are fitted only to slotted headstocks . My question about them is as to whether or not the posts are supported by any type of bushing . I am guessing not , but I am not sure .
You state that you have an EB-O in your possession . Does it incorporate the side mounted tuning machines ? It needs not be a fully assembled guitar to check this .
This is my last inquiry .