1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tuner and the number

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by jdolecek48, Aug 19, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

my snark clip on tuner has numbers associated with the type of tuning that you are using like for instance for E standards it is displayed "440" and that number is adjustable....what would i change that number to if I wanted to tune to a half step down? and also what would i change it to if i wanted to tune to a full step down?

2. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You don't need to adjust anything. Snark should display D# if you are correctly 1/2 step down on the e strings. Same concept for the other strings.
    D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#

klasaine, BigDaddyLH and nojazzhere like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just for fun ... in a well-tempered tuning the ratio of notes a half step apart will be the twelfth root of 2.

tubegeek, klasaine and ale.istotle like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Where is that button on my Casio calculator watch?

Buell and tubegeek like this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

e^(ln2/12) will get you there:

Up 1/2 step = x 1.059463

Down 1/2 step = x 0.9438743

(Down 1/2 step is A=415.305)

6. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

don't change that number. just tune every string down.

A is 440.

Ab is 415.3 but doubt the snark goes that low and certainly won't do the .3 part, so you would be a little out of tune. G is 392. Google told me these numbers.

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

The number 440 is in a unit called hertz, abbreviated as hz. It is a count of wave cycles per second for a given pitch. Here is a table, where middle C (C4) has roughly 260 cycles per second, or 260.63 hz, and A (A4, above middle C on a piano) has an exact wave cycles per second count of 440, or 440 hz. https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Adjusting away from 440 hz isn't intended for large tuning changes, such as tuning down a half step. 440 hz is a reference pitch for an international tuning standard. But some people and groups prefer to use a slightly lower or higher pitch reference for tuning.

I think ale.istotle answered your question on tuning down a half step. But it seems strange to me that tuners are being made today that don't include presets for alternative tunings, such as a half a step down, so that the musician doesn't have to think about the specific notes being tuned to.

8. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

snark tuners are chromatic. it doesn't care what note you play on what string, it'll tell you what it is.

9. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Don't worry about the numbers.
    As a few have already mentioned, loosen your tuning keys until you see these notes on your tuner - low string to high string ...
    D#
    G#
    C#
    F#
    A#
    D#

Here's the most important part.
    Always tune up to a note. When you loosen down to the note you want, go past it a bit (so go a bit lower), yank on the string a little (not too much) and then tune up to the desired note. This will take any slack out of the tuning post and/or from behind the nut.

thunderbyrd and rough eye like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.