1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tune-o-matic bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Supermaverick, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Supermaverick

Supermaverick Tele-Meister

So fellas... How much needs to be routed out for a tune-o-matic bridge so it'll be the proper height to the fret board. I'd really like to mount a b7 bigsby to my new thineline tele I'm in the process of making... I've done some research and I've heard "about a quarter inch". But you and I both know, "about" anything just doesn't cut it...

2. RedDirt

RedDirt Tele-Meister

Are you talking about routing the body to lower the TOM?

3. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could instead just shim the heel end of the neck pocket to give the neck a little more angle, that would make it unnecessary to rout a trough into the guitar body.

4. Supermaverick

Yes sir. That's what I'd figure you'd have to do to mount it...

5. RedDirt

RedDirt Tele-Meister

Don't see any reason why you would have to do that.

I can't find a TOM in this mess right now, but it is not much taller than a vintage bridge (or a mustang roller bridge) both of which work with a Bigsby.

There has been a lot of discussion on here lately about shimming necks, etc. for a Bigsby, but I truly believe that most of this is based on people having problems, finding a bad solution for them and then assuming that their solution is the right and normal way to set up a tele with a Bigsby.

Same thing with bridge height and action height. Figure out what the real issue is and fix it before you go around shimming necks or sticking dimes under your bridge saddles.

6. Supermaverick

Well the heck with it then. I'll just mount it then see whats gotta be done. I guess even if I had to route it out or shim the neck I'll be able to see how much exactly it'd be. It wouldn't change where the holes need to be... I agree though. Sure don't want to route or shim anything if it's not absolutely required...

7. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

When I put a TOM on another guitar style, the neck needed a 3% tilt backwards (ie. towards your body). The TOM was just a little bit higher so the little tilt raised up the butt end to match and the truss didn't need adjusting. Your mileage may vary. Measure twice etc...

8. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

You will almost certainly need to shim the neck if you put a TOM on a Tele.

Routing can work (take a look at some G&L Tele-style guitars that do that I think) but for me a small shim works just fine.

9. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

With all the discussion of a "tight fitting neck pocket", is there not a concern of (kind of) de-coupling the neck from the body when you start shimming it?

10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

You'd sure think so, but I've played some sweet-sounding guitars that had shims under the neck. And some duds with a tight neck pocket.

11. kiefe-caster

kiefe-caster Tele-Holic

What would qualify as an appropriate shim for a tele neck pocket that has a TOM bridge setup ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.