1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tubescreamer vs tubescreamer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben kenobi, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

If you measure the output of a fresh 9 volt alkaline it's usually around 9.5 or 9.6 volts.

If you measure the output of the power supply betcha it only puts out 9.0 volts, maybe less.

That .5 or .6 makes a big difference - and carbon batteries are better than alkaline if you can find them these days.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The best TS type I ever heard was a Maxon ??9. No idea why. If you want a fuller TS sound buy a TS9DX and leave it on Turbo mode. I cant play one in non Turbo mode after using that for years.
    Also, check the power supply you compared with. Some run as high as 12V marked 9 volts!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I use a REGULATED power supply on my pedal board....that way the voltage doesn't vary, (not supposed to, anyway) and has plenty of amperage to supply all my pedals.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well, they are directional.

5. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Both. PSU or battery matters, what particular PSU (trex fuel tanks a different: Classic, Chameleon, Goliath), battery type and brand matter, similar pedals often sound different due to different part types and part tolerances. Many factors affect the sound variations. So don't be surprised much.

6. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Energizer and Duracell are both Alkiaine batteries. They are usually pretty much consistent. You'll have hard time telling the difference between Energizer and Duracell. But difference between Alkaline and Carbon-Zinc (Heavy Duty) batteries or between certain Heavy Duty brands can be quite noticeable. Sure it also depends on the circuit you use them in.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They can always tell during Brown Eyed Girl for some reason. Als longs as it’s played with a mint ‘59 Strat through a Dumble.

Modman68 likes this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Could be using patch cables that cost less than $172 each. I mean, covers of 70s rock matter - you either care about your craft or you don’t.

Modman68 likes this.
  9. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the chances of Eric Johnson being able to tell the difference between batteries or cables or anything else is less than zero.

He is 64, I am 63. I have been playing electric guitar for fifty years, I imaging he has too, most of those years in front of a dimed Superlead.

My ears are shot and I have constant tinnitus. You think his ears are any better?

FenderLover and DougM like this.
  10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

HeHe..... sorry just had to.

[​IMG]

sanfi4u likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Any TS that analogman mods.

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

When you say you compared through both of your setups... Do you mean the TubeScreamers were played through different guitars, different signal chains and different amps?

13. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I’ve owned several Ibanez tubescreamer, and several tubescreamer type pedals, and they have all sounded different to me.

14. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

It’s not just EJ. Since he made the outrageous sounding claim, it has become a pretty well accepted theory, backed up by many well known guitarists, that different types of batteries cause certain pedals to react different. Not all pedals ( I don’t think tubescreamer were affected) but older, vintage fuzz pedals are now pretty widely accepted to react differently to some different types of batteries.

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I've often thought that he might having been joking when he said that.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

^^ I think he believes what he thinks he knows.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.