Tubes sound "amazing"!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by muchxs, Jan 29, 2020.

1. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Another curmudgeon / "Get off my lawn!" thread.

I was just looking at today's offerings of (overpriced) 6V6 tubes on eBay. Oh, wait. I see why they're expensive. Many of them sound "amazing" while some of them exhibit a convergence of "amazing" tone and exceeding scarcity defined as "rare".

Methinks someone is blowin' smoke.

My girlfriend the scientist walked me through the Six Sigma formula that establishes a bell shaped curve. It's supposed to encapsulate most of the objects that exhibit "good" characteristics in the fat part of the curve with a very few objects that "suck" or are "exceptional" as outliers.

I'm accumulating more tubes that suck compared to "amazing" tubes I'm hoarding. Suck tubes get a big "X" in permanent marker. In any functional quality program you're supposed to identify and segregate defective parts. Been there, done that.

The vast majority are acceptable if not exceptional.

2. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Very good points. I have always felt that the "amazing" tubes are the examples from the right side of the bell curve for that particular brand/batch, much more so than the brand itself.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

There's an inverse-square law governing marketing hype. Where we know what we're getting, hype is minimal. You don't see ads like:
    • "Alpo tastes sweet and mild; all the aorta chunks freshen your dog's breath...."
    • "Baking soda is amazing; your life will never be the same...."
    • "A Ford sedan turns your commute into a romantic drive high above the Amalfi coast...."
    Tubes on eBay are almost impossible to predict as to usability, much less quality. Bring the hype.

Another example is boutique (or hyper-costly) speakers. Weber can afford to give us short, simple descriptions; they're a well-known company we already respect. But smaller speaker shops? "This speaker has a certain magical quality to it... delivers everything you could want in a 10″ speaker... punchy lows, richly textured mids, and smooth, round highs... adds just the right amount of speaker breakup to your sound when pushed, without losing the tight ‘clean’ characteristics you need for optimal performance... smoothest, creamiest overdrive..."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    superlatives seem to be the new thing

everybody's kid is "amazing" or "incredible", their cars are "magnificent" and their guitars are "magical".
    I guess tubes can be amazing. I like watching them glow. I'm "amazed" that light comes out of a little glass bottle. Sometimes I find myself staring at light bulbs! Amazing! We can see indoors and at night in our houses!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Dan German, FenderLover and drlucky like this.
  5. muchxs

It's like Garrison Keillor's mythical Lake Woebegone where all the kids are exceptional.

Ex- advertising (production) professional here. Way I figure it hype should be applied with a spatula not a shovel.

:rolleyes:

stepvan, SAguitar, Greggorios and 6 others like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

to nitpick, it's "where all the kids are above-average" :)

GK got caught up (as in BUSTED) by the #metoo movement.
    Apparently he accidentally touched someone's back (not their butt)
    The scandal :eek:...Who'da thunk?

7. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I'm that garbage subhuman that just buys new JJ tubes. My shirts will never be as white as they could be, my car will never be fast enough, and my tone will undoubtedly make women's undergarments stay dry and in place

8. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

All tubes can be amazing, but they can't all be above average. ;)

RadioFM74 likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

91F2AB8A-6A9E-4A4D-B5E1-29771853E431.jpeg Oh yeah these toobs sound amazing can’t you hear the awesome toanz?

What?
    Circuitry?

SAguitar, ucnick, BrewerDoer and 3 others like this.
  10. muchxs

Audiophiles get all gooey over "transparent" circuitry.

:cool:

OT but I can't wait to hear the awesome toads.

I always wanted to sit out by the pond with a bowed string bass, see if I could get the bullfrogs to talk to me.

:)

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not to imply racial insensitivity but I like my circuitry colored!

Music with bullfrogs I’ve actually tried when I lived in Forest Hills near the huuuuuge cemetery.
    My apartment neighbors had limits and I’d bring a tenor sax into the cometary where there were barred door mausoleums with nice acoustics and captive audiences who never screamed at me to quiet down.
    There was also a nice pond full of noisy bullfrogs and I tried to get something going with them a few times but they didn’t seem inspired by my honks or screeches.
    So I went back to playing for the dead in their marble beds.
    IIRC Jerry was in a coma at that mid 1980s time, again though, not to be insensitive about the dead.

12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I have heard some really 'amazing' tubes. They sounded smooth and not a bit harsh, dimensional, very dynamic, and the clean and overdrive were an indiscernible continuum of the same thing. Or was it the circuit? I couldn't say, really. Seems like a very expensive and scattered rabbit hole to navigate in order to find out what is what.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

yes, but do ya want to be courting a frog or a toad or both? Asking for a friend... :)

And as long as we're delving into tone mojo, why not introduce one more tonewood quandary?

If you're really want to make either a toad or a frog dry hump your boots, you best take a musical saw!

the quandary? ah, but should the saw handle be made of hickory, or cherry or plywood or whatever exotic you have left in the shop?

For only $349US dollars, you too can be a frog-went a courtin' with a genu-wine microbass musical saw, direct from Lark in the Morning...
    https://larkinthemorning.com/products/stradsaw-microbass-package?variant=12381779230816

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Luckily I have tinnitus and a raging case of confirmation bias.

All my tubes sound great.

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

... but then I plug into my vintage marshall with it’s vintage iron and old NOS tubes and the guys on their lawns would be blown away.

16. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

actually very old but marketers try to find new ways to use hyperbole!

play music!

17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I love Toads. Both of them! They both have amazing tubes!

Mmmm.... Matchless

Marshall?

muchxs likes this.
  18. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

That saw doesn't even have any teeth. It's going to take me hours to add them. And which is going to have the richest harmonics? Rip pattern, crosscut, hybrid, or something else? And that handle is hideous. It's going to take hours more to make a new one.

teletimetx likes this.
  19. muchxs

Awesome! It's a bluegrass version of Jimmy Page's theremin.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I'd like to take a whack at "Dazed and Confused" with that thing.

:D

The local sharpening guy has a whole pile of guitars and amps ii his back room.

I knew he was cool when he had incense burning on his Bridgeport.

:cool:

jimgchord and telemnemonics like this.
  20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

It's even worse with caps, read this:

"Changing AN-Silver with V-Cap CuTF, I had immediately noticed more air, more details and weightier bass. Initially, it may sound a bit metallic and bright but after a notoriously long break-in ( VH Audio indicates 400 hour break-in period), musicality comes back with more natural tone/texture to the sound. It is the most transparent, neutral and detailed capacitor of the three and arguably most flat/extended in the frequency range, subjectively speaking. It has excellent sense of speed, pace, rhythm and timing. It is a wonderful capacitor and I can understand that a lots of audiophiles are very happy with them, including me."

Available with free shipping for as much as $719.95 each. :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.