Tubes or SS - home-alone with a BOSS GT-1?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by VerySlowHand, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

I don't know really. It's a Fender clean, when playing the Strat on bridge and middle has that sparkle. I turn the master all the way up and use the gain to bring up the volume. Enough clean for home playing. I don't think I would be interested in using a mult effects with this amp personally, I just use a delay pedal.
    Sounds great.

2. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I might backtrack on my dismissal of powered speakers... mine are cheap 5" Behringers, about 15 years old.

If I go down the route of powered speakers, am I better off with the Headrush FRFR 108, or a pair of Yamaha HS8's, or some Alto's? I don't have any knowledge of this stuff.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Tubes with everything!

I could kick myself for passing on a 32 channel tube mixer a while ago. I'm just the guy town such a beast.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

That would be an interesting project. Can actually use the old organ power transformers for something.

5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

You might find this eBay listing of interest . . .

CMI Cordovox CG Tone Generator

Something like 60 tubes in there. Local pickup only, unfortunately.

I had to do some internet research to figure out what it is. It's part of an electronic accordion setup from the '60s. This appears to be just the tone generator, not the amp.

6. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Sorry to quote myself, but just so the question doesn't get lost... above, or KRK Rokit?

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’d go with a regular powered PA speaker. I work around several people these days that aren’t using amps live at all. They just plug a modeler direct and go through the PA. Does wonders for stage volume, and they sound terrific. My brother is doing it with a Helix. If it works on a live stage with the house PA, I’m guessing it would work fine at home, too. I’m toying with the idea of moving that way, myself. If I can find a great sounding modeler that my meager brain can work with easily.

8. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

There are so many, I'm not even sure I know what to look for - the Headrush seems to be specifically aimed at guitar players - to the uninitiated it's a safe bet.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Budget would be £200-£350.

9. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

If you are into recording, go powered speaker, but if you are in it for personal playing, think twice. There is just something satisfying about playing through a nice amp.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I recommend against the Boss GT-1 for this reason: It does not support loading impulse responses (as far as I can tell). This is an essential feature for amp/cabinet modeling today. You shouldn't buy any modeling unit that doesn't have this capability.

Impulse responses (IR) capture how a speaker, cabinet, mic and mic placement, room dynamics and other factors react over time. This is significantly different from, and better than, the EQ based cabinet simulations that were used previously. It's a real game changer.

This means that all you need is a good FRFR (full range, full response) amp or speaker system that doesn't change the output characteristics of the IR.

11. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

You can use the GT-1 for its effects, for its amp models (through a powered speaker like the Alto/HeadRush), or both. If you like its amp models, though, I would give the Katana another listen. Both of them seem to be incremental evolutions of the GT-100. I encourage you to download the editors for both and poke around. You'll find that the GT-1 amp models have a lot of overlap with the Katana amp models; effects too. If there's an advantage in refinement, it will belong to the Katana Mk. II, which is more recent.

I would also add the Katana to your list of powered speakers to consider. It's not meant to be a PA, but the Mk. II does have a power amp input for use with modelers.

I have an Alto TS312, which is close (if not identical) to the 12-inch HeadRush. (Both marks are owned by the same company, which has been very cagey about how the two products differ.) I use it for backing tracks and to develop patches on a modeler for the rare occasions when I play out. Pro: the Alto has a lot of volume for the money. Con: there's a fair amount of hiss. In a large venue this probably wouldn't be noticed, but my guest room is not a large venue. It's hard for me to judge the fidelity, so I won't offer an opinion on that.

I also have a Katana 50 Mk. I and a Boss GT-1, though I haven't used them together so far. I got the Katana used and liked it so much that I bought the GT-1. I use the latter chiefly for live venues where I need to get on and off stage quickly. It runs on four AA batteries, so I don't need any power on stage; I can just plug the whole unit directly into the PA. Mostly, though, I'm practicing at home with a little zoo of pedals plugged into the Katana's clean channel.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  12. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Not sure I fully appreciate the object of the power amp input. Does it keep the modeller separate from the amps own models and effects? The Katana 50 doesn't have an effects loop, so I'd still need a multi-effects in order to use my own looper. That would seem to render the Katana 50 useless, other than as a straightforward / dry amp.

I'm moving away from the original question, but what I really want is the ability to have my own looper (Ditto X2 at time of writing) record the available effects - whether that's from the GT-1, or maybe even a Fender GT100 - and to have the best 'fidelity', if that's the right word, from either an amp or powered speakers.

Simplest solution is either a GT100, with the new seven-button footswitch and the GTX firmware update. Or a GT-1 with FRFR speaker.

13. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

If you plug directly into the power amp, you bypass the Katana's own modeling and substitute that of your other gear.

If you don't mind telling us, what didn't you like about the Katana?

I ask because the sound you will get from a GT-1 with FRFR speaker is going to be similar, and possibly inferior, to the sound you would get from a Katana. The two Boss sound engines are very close to one another. But with the GT-1 + FRFR combination, you will be using a generic power amp and generic speaker; whereas with the Katana, you will be using a power amp and speaker specifically tuned for Boss modeling.

14. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

how about a vox mv50 clean, with a good fx pedal gt1/helix fx ?

15. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

The Katana sounded great in store, so I bought it with no hesitation, but when I got it home it sounded brittle, cold, harsh, sterile. Same sized room, so it was a shock... actually the worst amp I've ever heard.

I got the GT-1 today and had an hour with it, through my cheap old Behringer speakers. Will spend some time making my own patches before deciding if I like the set-up. My Behringers are on the way out though - they're on the brink of being consigned to landfill. It still sounded better than the Katana though!

I'll probably buy a Mustang GT100 tomorrow as well and see how I prefer to use these things.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

It sounds like you have a practical testing regime. I look forward to hearing what you discover.

17. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Chuckle :D... I'll quote you to my wife... she thinks I'm nuts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.