Tubes or SS - home-alone with a BOSS GT-1?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by VerySlowHand, Mar 2, 2020.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Been going around in circles over the last few weeks re. modelling amps, tube amps, individual pedals, mfx etc., and what combination will work best for my humble ambitions!

Home-alone player, getting back into electric, just about to buy a BOSS GT-1. I've got a separate Ditto X2 looper and a Polytune 3. That'll be my set-up... with a Baja Telecaster.

Simple question: when you're running a mfx into an amp, is there any point 'cork-sniffing' (which I'm prone to, illogically, because I don't record and I'm only an average player) over a small tube amp, or should I just buy something inexpensive like a Champion 40? ie. using the mfx amp/cab sims to fine tune things.

I do like a 10" or 12" speaker, even at low volumes and I do like Fender - so it's either a used Bassbreaker 007/15, a used Super Champ XD/X2, or the Champion 40. Budget isn't an issue for these options. I don't like the Katana's much, btw.

I won't use a 1/10th of what the GT-1 offers - mostly a little overdrive, delay and reverb. I like clean (but not ice-pick) tones and light crunch.

Thanks.

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I love solid state amps, lightweight, no break up, good clean, good pedal platform, less expensive, no maintenance.
    The Champion 40 is a lovely amp.

3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

And inexpensive... and it has aux in and phones jacks... saves all that bending over to plug into the GT-1. I'm the wrong side of 60 (age, not waist! ;))

Does anyone have a view on whether the Champion 50 is worth a little extra? I've read that the speaker is better than in the 40.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

For a modeling system, go solid state. They even make amps specifically designed for powering modelers.

[​IMG]

telestratosonic likes this.
  5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I was entirely pleased with both the Champion 20 and the Champion 40 I've owned. Lovely clean tones, which is where I spend most of my time. Pretty good for classic rock tones. Edge of breakup is their weakest aspect, I'd say, but that's true of most nontube amps. A pedal can cover that if it's important, for as little as $30 if you opt for something like a Joyo Sweet Baby.

I haven't tried the Champion 50, but I expect any improvements in the speaker or the software are marginal. The thing about marginal improvements is that the only time you notice them is when you're playing the two amps side by side. When you plug into either of those amps without the other one nearby, all the nitpicking fades away and you can concentrate on playing music.

VerySlowHand likes this.
  6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Yes, very good price, i haven't tried the 50, they put a Celestion, probably it's better, i don't know really, for sure the 40 looks much nicer to me and 10 watts of difference it's not a big deal...

7. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I posted a similar thread recently in the modeling forum. Basically the question I asked was, how much does the amplifier matter if you are going to stick a multi FX in front of it?

I decided that the main reason to go solid state would be to buy an amplifier that has all the effects and models and other bells and whistles, whereas if you are having a separate multi effects unit, why not get a good pure base tone from a tube amplifier?

I have and love the champion 20 with an upgraded speaker, but it does not compare to even an inexpensive tube amplifier, My latest being the Traynor DarkHorse.

Have you considered a PJ or BJ?

stevemc likes this.
  8. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I used to have BJ (about 20 years ago)... both go from too quiet to too loud, too easily. The BJ is too loud for home use, I think.

Apparently, the Bassbreaker 007 and 15 are still very responsive at low volumes.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

For your use I think the Boss GT 1 will give you all the tone options with amp modeling that you could want. The Boss models are every bit as good as anything Fender has. I would plug that into a SS amp like a Bandit or similar and have fun. Good luck!

Sneaks likes this.
  10. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

there is magic in those tubes.everything modeling is about ATTEMPTING to recreate the tube experience.fender ss do a very nice clean though.still i would go for an inexpensive tube amp.also the latest blues junior has remedied the volume jump issues.version 4.

11. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Sure, but used ones are about £440.00... just not worth me spending that much when a used Bassbreaker is almost half that.

12. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

if you like the bassbreaker how about a marshall?

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The GT1 is a modeler? If it has amp models and speaker sims, I’d just get a powered speaker and call it a day. Plus, a powered speaker has multiple uses. In addition to using it to play your modeler through, you can plug your phone into it and have a dandy portable music system for the garage or back yard bbq. Most have multiple inputs these days, so you could plug a mic into it as well.

LowCaster and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  14. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Been down that route most recently, with a G5n and my powered speakers, but found I prefer a good old-fashioned guitar amp... it's just so much better for those times when you can make a noise! Plus, sometimes I'd rather keep the powered speakers separate, for backing tracks.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I strongly considered the 007 head when I got the Darkhorse. It was basically down to the two of them and since I haven't had much luck with single-ended amplifiers in the past (getting a good clean tone) I decided to go with the tried and true dual 6V6 route.

16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I really like my mustang 1. Lots of great classic sounds. I did put an 8” weber alnico in it tho but those are cheap. They go for under a C note.

17. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

Just got a Bassbreaker 007 here. Can't really beat it, very robust. ( so far)

18. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

^^^ A Mustang V2 is a possibility - and play it clean-ish.

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

What amplifier would you compare the clean tone to?

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get an amp that can be just your 'loudness appliance'. Get all your tones from pedals or modelers. If you put pedals in front of a Tube Amp it's effectively a solid state amp with maintenance headaches anyway.

Peavey Bandit, or related lower wattage family amps, for the clean channel
    Orange 35RT
    Older used Crate amps that play clean (I have a GX-15 in the office that I put a RAT pedal in front of and it works fine for the space it takes up and the space the notes fill)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.