Tube/Valve pedal for clean tones into a Roland Jazz chorus 22 amp

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by tweeet, Jan 18, 2020.

1. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

First off I'm not going to fork out for a tube amp so please don't tell me to do so (yet!).

I'm playing a 12 string electric into a Roland Jazz Chorus 22 amp...I like the sound but don't love it ...I love the chorus effect. I play my 6 string into a Laney L20t and it sounds great. Has anyone got a tube pre amp pedal or any tube pedal that gives out that warm tube sound and feel that goes before your amp ? If so what is it ? I'd like something to 'sparkle'...jump out at me...that extra something !

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I love the Jazz Chorus, i wouldn't change its sound with any preamp pedal but you could try to get something like the Joyo American Sound or the British, they are not tube preamps but they sound great and cost only 30 Euro, you could try to use it in the return of the Jazz Chorus and in input and see what happens...

tweeet likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Blackstar HT series are good. Their power supplies are iffy, but the pedals themselves are solid. I've currently got their HT Boost, which is a clean boost, and quite lovely.

Warning!, tea may be sputtered onto keyboards.. The Behringer VT999 is worth a look. The stock 12AX7 comes from a mystery circle of hell where it doubles as a harpies screech on their days off. A 12AU7 and careful setting up yields very pleasant results.

Consider a valve mic pre-amp such as the Behringer Tube Ultra Gain Mic 100/200. Again, remove the stock 12AX7 and replace with a 12AU7, sacrificing the original under a boot clad foot to a lesser god. ART produce a similar item as their Tube MP. Again, the stock 12AX7 needs to go. They're too brittle and gainy. The 12AU7 brings forth sparkle.

Head over to Tube Town and get a kit. The Valv-E-Tiser is a simple build that yields pleasant results. It use voltage-voodoo to chop the voltages up to tickle levels :)

Joyo American Sound. Not valve, but bloody good. So many fine sounds to be had for so little money. Sometimes it seems a fair proportion of members here have them and nearly all praise the little box of goodness. When I bought mine, I wondered why I took so long to do so.

4. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Keep an eye out for a "Dave Hall Amp" (DHA) pedal. They're not made any more (RIP Dave), but you may come across a 2nd hand one.
    They were made in Devon, so you are more likely to come across one in sunny England.

Some "Tech 21" pedals are pretty good at simulating a tube sound.

5. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

So true man, its eq is one of the best i've ever tried...

6. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

excellent keep them coming guys this is exactly what I want...lush x
    I must add I don't want any distortion...this is pure clean.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i think you already have a superb clean amp. however, boss does sell the exact same chorus circuit as a stompbox.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Fender just announced some sort of real tube tremolo effect at this years NAMM 2020....I believe you can just turn the depth down and get a straight tube-ish boost from it. I could be mistaken tho, I only read a quick blurb about it this morning.

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if you’d have just as much fun experimenting with subtle levels of compression in front of the Roland. Maybe that’s the effect you were reacting to.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Needing more sparkle and jump when playing an electric 12 string into any amp is why the Janglebox was invented.

11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Look into a tube pedal kit.......Officially Licensed Circuits Eclipse Valve pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.