Tube transformation

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Cali Dude, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Does anyone have a favorite current production 12ax7? I ask, as I had an aha! moment recently. I swapped out the stock preamp tubes from a new amp with what I had read might be the best 12ax7 currently being produced. The improvement was pretty dramatic. Does anyone else have any experiences like this with current production tubes? (12ax7) Secondarily, how about with power tube changes as well?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I buy secondhand ones if I want good tones but Sovtek LPS in slot one are usually a safe bet.

3. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Shuguang 12ax7b.

radiocaster likes this.
  4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Depends what you're putting them in. It's like "best guitar", "best pickup", "best amp".

For what? Who's gonna play it? What sounds do you want?

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I assume you're talking about the current Tung Sol, made by Sovtek, which is one of the best !2AX7s on the market today, as are the Mullard, also made by Sovtek, the Sovtek LPS with spiral filament, and the JJ803S, which are all long plate 12AX7s, which seem to always sound better than short plate varieties. This is true even among NOS tubes, as the fabled Telefunken and black plate Raytheons are also long plate tubes.

PBO Blues likes this.
  6. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

If I want to sound better I need to stop chasing tone and start chasing skills. ;)

ThermionicScott, archetype and schmee like this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

Millard sounds better than Electroharmonix and JJ to
    my ears. No other experience. I put EHX in my old amp and they sounded good. But in my new amp I tried JJ and it was not gainy enough. I checked the specs and could not afford the highest gain, but Millard was next on the list, do I got them. I guess it really depends on your amp and what you are looking for. My current amp is a Vox AC-10. So obviously I needed some more gain to make it hotter.

schmee likes this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

I've read good things and had good luck with the Svetlana 12AX7, though it's just another brand / version coming out of the same big Xpo-pul / Reflektor / New Sensor factory that makes EH, Sovtek, Mullard.

I'm not sure, but I take it these different Chevy/Buick/GMC brands do differ somewhat in construction? Even before the fancy gold pin versions or deluxe labels?

And *that's* before the post-manufacture marketing and markups -- quite a few different companies that 'select' and 'triode match' and 'burn in' the supposedly 'best' examples of each brand...

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mullard RI above all else. There must be a reason they are more money than the others.

Sovtek 12AX7LPS were well touted a few years back, not bad but they were not the Mullards IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.