1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tube swap on a fender blues deluxe reissue 40w?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Billy3, Jan 5, 2021.

1. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Fair enough.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I am skeptical that Fender put a 12AT7 in the V1 position, that's a driver tube and any tube amp tech I've ever heard talk about this would say it's not a good tube to use in a gain position. In the vid in the link, George just says they changed "the tube" but doesn't say which one. I also think it would be the phase inverter tube that they changed, not V1, if they are using an AT7, if it were V1 a 12AY7 or 5751 would make more sense.
    Do you have a link to a video that says that V1 has a 12AT7?.
    Al

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

That's what I think. All the blurbs say "tube" and "preamp tube", but I'm not seeing "V1" anywhere.
    I can't imagine the upside to designing an amp for 12AT7 V1 and 12AX7 Phase Inverter. That is so backwards, I can't even ...

4. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

This is an excellent suggestion. An even better suggestion would be to have your son buy two jacks, a pot, a knob, and a small project box and make it himself.

It works. It allows the preamp to provide better tone and keeps the volume under control. It’s an easy project for a smart young man with basic soldering skills. Lots of instructions on building this on the web. I’ve built four of them for cheap.

Billy3 and Hari Seldon like this.
  5. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Or make one for less than 10 bucks. Most of that is for the project box. I’ll bet you have an appropriate pot, knob, and two jacks in your parts box.

$40 for that? “They seen you comin’, man.”

Billy3 likes this.
  6. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/preamp-tube-gain-and-compatibility-guide

Billy 3, use the link above to get a better understanding of preamp tube gain. Generally speaking, a reduction in gain = a reduction in volume and cleans up your tone with added clean headroom. From that standpoint invest in a good 12AY7 tube. Try to buy one that gets good user reviews. Harp players like that tube a lot. Spend a little time doing some research on the internet. Quest on!

Billy3 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.