Tube sets vs mix and match - worth it?

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Meister
Consider this.
Your "late 70s" amp spent the first two or three decades using 'mix n match' valves. Calibrated sets is a relatively recent 'thing'.
On top of that, there are only three or four factories on the planet now, one of which produces most of the brands, all of which are owned by the same guy, so this Brand X sounds different to Brand Z is...
Google 'the king's new clothes' story.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
Then again my TAD 6v6 experience was not all that great
To confirm your experience, I tried the short bottle TAD 6L6. "Not all that great" is how I would describe them. IDK if all Tad short bottle 6L6 perform the same but the sample I had were disappointing. OMMV.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Late '70s 4x6L6 Fender amp used for guitar and bass?

Hmmm, secret amps do secret stuff to unknown power tubes!
The late '70s 4x6L6 Fender amps were not only UL but also had a massive PT and ran the power tubes at very high voltage for 135w or clean power.
So the power tubes need to be on the better end of tube quality, IMO.
Depends on what you have to mix and match?
Do you have a collection of NOS 6L6?

Fora while all the Rose Morris Marshalls fitted with 6550s for export got good power tubes pulled in favor of el34, and those US made 6550s were VERY robust, so I might consider matching up a set of used samples for a quad.

If I had equivalent NOS/ ANOS 6L6 I might consider them more special thatn whatever used power tubes came in my UL SFTR or Bassman 135 etc.

What is so special about the original tubes and at the same time makes them fragile for using now?
Late '70s Fender 4x6L6 amps are cheap.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
OK I went page to page then followed a link to a whole 'nother thread and finally learned what amp and what tubes were being discussed, plus the fact that it was last year!
(My guess had been close enough)

IMO the old Sylvania 6L6 quad belongs in that amp!
Particularly if used for bass.
Or another set of Sylvania 6L6 from that not terribly valuable collectible era when power tubes were robust and clean.

But wrong year etc.
Still struggle with tech questions that omit most of the facts.
No biggie, my choice to waste my time.

Last edited: