1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tube Screamer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by doghouseman, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

The Sparkle Drive is indeed, a nice pedal. I had mine modded with a Monte Allums mod kit to give it a little more bottom punch. I just recently purchased a TS9, and was amazed how versatile it is. I i had to choose, take the TS9.

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

To your points, here's John Jorgenson gushing about his TS-5, "undesirable" 75558 op-amp and all! (Fast-forward to the 20:05 mark if my link doesn't do it.)

3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

I have been a TS9 devotee for a long time now; as said before, it gets the job done. I have run one into another one, on occasion, and that was interesting.
    Had the plastic TS (5?) which was fine until my size 13 and a half broke it.
    Have tried various other overdrives over the years, including the TS Turbo, which I liked a lot, but always came to the 9.
    Currently gassing for a EHX Soul Food.

4. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I have the Keeley True Bypass TS 808. Cool pedal. Lots of cool upgrades including extended gain range to cover TS9 sounds. Not cheap though, and no longer made by Keeley.

5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

IMO... if you want a Tube Screamer don't bother with the variants, just get a Tube Screamer... either the Ibanez or a Maxon would qualify as original. If cost is an issue take a look at the used market if you have one. In my area I can find a used TS-9 for about $75 CAD at any given time.

I find too many of the variants try to hard to "improve" the mid hump, and then completely miss the all important blend of the clean signal the real deal has.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

3. The people who feel the subtle differences make the stock TSs not worth the price. Like me.

7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Visual sound Route 808 (TS 808 with a twist) and Visual sound Open road overdrive.

leonard d rock likes this.
  8. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Somebody has probably already said this but... the JHS Bonsai. It has 9 tube screamer circuits in one pedal. I got mine used/mint for $100. New they are $229.00 but I never buy new stuff (very rarely) I let the other guy take the 30%+ depreciation when he walks out of the store after paying the new price. I nearly always buy used.

https://motorcityguitar.com/product...creamer-overdrive-pedal?variant=7580721348674

JHS Bonsai - 01.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Or if you want versatility and everything else, get a Source Audio L.A. Lady Overdrive. - New $149.00.
    https://motorcityguitar.com/products/source-audio-l-a-lady-overdrive-pedal?variant=30337507131458

Source Audio has a free Neuro Desktop Editor, with the desktop editor you get 50 more algorithms for this same pedal. You don't need to own a Source Audio pedal to download and install and check out the Neuro desktop editor. Source Audio is my choice because as far as the tech-no stuff they sort of dumb it down and make it accessible and usable for us old school guys who weren't born with a cell phone attached to our heads and got an iPad for their 2nd birthday...
    https://www.sourceaudio.net/editorsandfirmware.html

Install and launch the editor >> (top left on screen) "View" >> (hover over) "Show Offline Device Editor" >> pick the Source Audio pedal you'd like to see from the drop down menu (in this case) "L.A. Lady Overdrive" (all of their One Series pedal algorithms can be seen from this list by choosing each different pedal)

Source Audio L.A. Lady Overdrive - 01.jpg

Here's a list from my Neuro desktop editor screen print that shows all the algorithms inside this puppy... The list was 2 long for a single screen print so you'll see some duplicates... but 50 in one does it for me, I doubt I'll ever need another OD/Fud/Dist/Preamp pedal again...

LA Lady Neuro Algorithms 01.jpg

LA Lady Neuro Algorithms 02.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Tim S and rstaaf like this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve owned most flavors of Tube Screamers (some multiple times) and my TS808HW handwired version is my keeper. Warmer and smoother than a standard TS9 or TS808 or the Maxon version.

91A80FA6-0E63-4EEA-AA38-4FC769B1660E.jpeg

10. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

I picked up the Ibanez TS Mini and very much dig it.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m with @codamedia and some others.

I’m also in @11 Gauge’s group 1.

I just want a Tube Screamer.

I have an Ibanez 808 reissue. And an Ibanez Nu Tube Screamer. I got the NTS for less than the 808 reissue. Or I wouldn’t have bought it. (See group 1, above). Both sound nice.

I tend to think early pedals were tuned for stage, and tuned well for that purpose.

I’m also weird in that user interface/form factor matter as much to me as anything else.

I like Boss boxes. I hate those round lamp buttons for true bypass. I also hate the huge grey rectangle on Ibanez/Maxon that seems like it turns on when I let go, rather than when I step on it.

Saving Boss, I prefer Ibanez style with the recessed knobs, slanted “stomp”” face and small rectangle button.

codamedia likes this.
  12. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

Bad Monkey

13. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'll play. Check out the DigiTech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. Its got some nice tone controls and two modes. I've been able to get it to work on my pedal board pretty well. Same mfg as the Bad Monkey and some say its pretty similar, but I've never played one.

I also have a 25 year old TS9 that still works, as well as the TS808 circuits in the Visual Sound Route 66 and Jekyll & Hyde. I've gotten satisfying tones out of each and probably could get by with any one of them, but its always fun to play around with different pedals, even if the circuits are substantially the same -- stack 'em, twiddles some knobs and see what comes out of your amp. Maybe someday I'll do a blindfold test just for kicks, or maybe not.

That reminds me, where did I put my old big box Rat? Hmmmm...

14. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

UPDATE: I JUST received the Demon tube screamer and i compared it to the following:
    1. ibanez TS5,
    2. Ibanez TS808
    3. Ibanez overdrive in the PT-3 Powertrio
    4. Visual Sound RT808 (bass switch off)

some observations:
    1. the ts-5 sounds the best of all IMO
    2. the ts9/808 switch doesn't make a lot of difference, just a very slight bass boost.
    3. The Demon can serve a a very good ts sub for boosting, stand alone od etc
    4. the Ibanez TS808 has a nice round body which is nice for stand alone od. The demon is a little thinner in sound.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  15. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I see you have the Greer Lightspeed overdrive...How does it sound and how does it compare to TS style pedals?

16. Snickers89

Snickers89 NEW MEMBER!

If you want more versatily, here it is:

https://maxonfx.com/products/super-tube-pro-plus-st9pro

Is like an 808, but with internal switch for charge pump internal voltage from 9 to 18v, has a switch on the outside for boosting the lows and a knob for the mid-boost (it moves the spike in the mids from lower mids to upper mids, depending on the knob position).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.