Tube Screamer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by doghouseman, Oct 17, 2020 at 11:02 PM.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I have bought and sold many TS pedals, but I currently only have one - a Joyo pedal. I would really like to get a good TS pedal because I need to do some studio work and I need that sound.

I would rather not pay a fortune, as I know that is possible.

I have heard a lot of people like the Way Huge Green Rhino. I could also just get an Ibanez reissue, if you guys think those are decent pedals??? I am sure there are lots of boutique copies but I dont want to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

Terrygh1949 likes this.
  2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

BBE Green Screamer

Ibanez TS Mini

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Chicago Stompworks makes a copy that should get the job done.

As a Maxon fan I can say....

I have no idea who would buy their current tubescreamer. Hype markup.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Since my first pedal purchase in 1990, I’ve had:

-TS5 SoundTank
    -TS9RI
    -TS10
    -TS7 ToneLok
    -TS808RI (which I loved, but my friend/guitar tech/luthier lives more, so I gave it to him)
    -MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive (which can do TubeScreamer sounds with some tweaking)
    -Danelectro DO-1 Daddy-O Overdrive (which also can do TubeScreamer sounds with some tweaking)...

The TS9RI has graced my board for 20 years. I don’t see it being removed anytime soon.

They're cheap, used...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    Greggorios likes this.
  5. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Ibanez TS Mini.

Don't overthink it or pay more than you need to for something "boutique".

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Unless there's something obviously wrong with a pedal, a TS is a TS is a TS. Josh Scott demoed that in his recent "Are Vintage Pedals Better?" video.

I had 10 different TS pedals at one point and realized they were all basically interchangeable.

7. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Meister

in before Bad Monkey.

I have an 808. I think it Wampler did a video explaining that ALL Ibanez Tube Screamers are the same even though the internet claims otherwise.

Get an inexpensive one that's built well.

bicaster and Fearnot like this.
  8. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

TS mini does the job pretty well.

M2roadwarrior and Deed like this.
  9. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

I have a Fulldrive 2 and Delta Labs Tube Overdrive. I couldn’t say the Tube Screamer part of the Fulldrive is any better, only maybe a little darker. Nothing the turn of a knob can’t even out though.

That said, a Tube Screamer isn’t one of my favorite sounds, and my Fulldrive is only used for the Comp Cut, so I may not have an ear discerning enough to help here. Both my examples sound like a Tube Screamer, though, so it lends credibility to the don’t overthink/overspend suggestions. :)

doghouseman likes this.
  10. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

If you get a chance, try the Danelectro Texas Trouble, it is a sweet OD that is in the TS camp but to me sounds way better. I have also been through a few ts9's and 808's and there is always something that bugs me in their tone after a while, the Dano is a keeper and was like $30 bux.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

it has to be just me , I dont know ....
    but the TS and the boss blues driver sound so generic to me I dont see the appeal at all , I dont mean to burst bubbles here , I own both , turned them on once and have them sit in my pedal cupboard , I have a Reagun distortion that sounds outstanding to me, I use it as a boosted clean I also have a BK butler tube driver rack unit , outstanding right into an amp but not as a stand alone unit ( ask David Gilmour)

12. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Since the Joyo is a faithful reproduction of a TS-808, what more could you possibly want? A TS-9 ???

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Agreed. I have had a few TS9s and settled on an Analogman modded TS9 for live performance about 25 years ago. No need to replace it. Ever.

For studio use though? That's a whole different animal. I would the OP be looking at modeling amps and other things in the studios arsenal of inboard effects.

When a person is not pushing the signal through a room full of air BEFORE it gets recorded, a different set of rules applies. That's why close micing a Chump, er uh, I mean Champ will often sound good even those amps are little squawk box amps.

Plugging directly in can yield some terrific sounds these days.

matty428 likes this.
  14. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I owned and used, for a good ten years, an original 1980 TS808. It was the best thing for my needs back then. One of the good ones. I traded it towards a CS Firebird in 1992. I then went on a hunt to get a new replacement. None of the 1990's - 2000's reissues sounded as good until I stumbled on (at the store right down the street from my home) a Maxon OD-808, from the period when they started reissuing them in around 2005. I still have it and sounds better than my old TS.

Thereafter, I even ponied up for another original TS from 1980 but sold it quickly (to Ana Popovic, of all people) as my Maxon sounded better.

Here's the kicker, I bought another Maxon as a back-up and it, like all the others I tried, didn't sound as good as my first OD808.

These pedals all sound "good", but the maddening thing is that there are true "good ones" out there for whatever reason, so it's sort of a cursed endless search for one, if you want to go down that hole.

15. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Of course those that shelled out fo the expensive pedals (vintage, boutique, etc.) are going to insist they sound better. Kind of like buying some really expensive, boutique brass saddles for your Tele. I mean, how can they NOT sound better given what they cost? And nobody's going to say they don't sound better and look like a chump because they spent 5x what a set of Fender brass saddles goes for.

Pedal builders (just like guitar builders) have to keep "improving" and changing something each year to create a sense of need, otherwise it would be the same thing every year, and if you bought one years ago and it still works you wouldn't need a new one. But now if we change the name, maybe put it in a new enclosure with cool graphics, swear it's been "improved" upon compared to the original, etc., then people start thinking they need it. Once they buy it and realize it's just a repackaging of what they already have their not going to admit that an the more they spend, the more they're going to hear a difference.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM
  16. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

green rhino is nice if you want to tweak the low and and mid hump.

gmann and doghouseman like this.
  17. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

You may want to take a look at the EQD Plumes: for 99
    you get 3 clipping modes: od, boost and a more compressed crunch.

Tim T likes this.
  18. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Green Screamer. These don't get mentioned very often. Supposed to be a pretty faithful reproduction of the 808 if I'm not mistaken. Built like a tank.

E5RSY likes this.
  19. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

The BBE Two Timer is a great pedal too. I use one of those all the time.

Looks like I can only get a Green Screamer used? They are no longer in production?

E5RSY likes this.
  20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Correct. And some very good deals on them. Plus, who doesn't want a pedal with a cartoon F-86 on it? I know I do.

BBE does make a hotter version currently, called the "G Screamer" I think. My impression is it's a more aggressive sound. Probably not to my taste.

Keep on Truckin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.