1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tube Reverb

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gin Mill Cowboy, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Ok, not a stomp box, but lately I’ve been obsessing on tube reverb tanks. Can someone explain how/why they are soooooo expensive. It seems vintage ones are the price of a vintage amp and newly made ones are about the same.

I guess because they essentially are amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Reverb tanks are $30 bro.

If you are talking about standalone tube reverb units like the Fender 6G15, they cost as much as an amp because they basically are an amp. Multiple transformers, tubes, chassis, etc etc. all the expensive parts are there just the same.

Bill, Milspec and Gin Mill Cowboy like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Rarity of the older units plus they're popular not just with guitarists. They sound great.

And - bits for them aren't cheap. You have a power transformer, pots, wiring, tag board and while you have no speaker or output transformer you do have an expensive reverb pan. Plus a cabinet for one nicely finished is going to cost similar to a guitar cab.

Gin Mill Cowboy likes this.
  4. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I don't own this one, but when I was looking it was probably the most reasonably priced 6G15 style reverb I found:

Winfield Amps Tsunami

But have you checked out the Surfy Bear? Same design but without tubes. A lot of guys at SurfGuitar101 recommend it and say it sounds just like the tube units but without tube issues. $450 for the regular, same controls as the 6G15. $350 for a modified metal chassis version of it. If I was looking again I'd be looking pretty hard at a Bear.

Or an Ocean's Eleven from Electro Harmonix, seen some good drippy demos from that pedal.

A lot of people will tell you to get a Catalinbread Topanga - I have one as a backup for when my tube unit had a transformer blow and the sound is not as close as the reviews make it out to be. Not a bad pedal at all, just can't get quite as much drip and dwell out of it. That's at home. In a band context the difference gets completely buried.

And I'll echo what's been said - they cost as much as amps because they are essentially amps. But they're worth it if you need that drippy/splashy sound.

Gin Mill Cowboy and cyclopean like this.
  5. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

looks like surfybear quit doing the DIY kits, a true shame. I built mine with the long tank in a handheld metal toolbox from home depot. kit+tank+toolbox was about $100

6. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Tubetown have valve based reverb kits, plus this, for those missing the Surfy Bear self build.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/kit-lndverb.html

You'll notice if you surf the site that the valve reverbs are indeed expensive. They're amps in disguise, waiting to spring a surprise at any moment.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They are expensive and yes they are little amps really. But the prices are usually way beyond what they should be as they have minimal components, no speaker, tiny transformers, minimal tubes etc.

Look up the Fender or Weber layouts and you can make one real cheap if you are up to that task. The kits are quite expensive for what they are. Weber has one that is tube tremelo and reverb too.

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I let a brown Fender reverb unit go for $15... in 1976.

I'd want more for it today.

10. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Once I put my fender princeton reverb in the vault the only thing I missed was the lush shimmery reverb.
    As you have noticed, they are not as cheap as a pedal. You get what you pay for, the stymon pedal comes close but costs almost as much as a 6G15. I ended up builting (3) spring reverb kits from triode electronics, the only fx that I use.

11. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

It does have an output transformer. It 'drives' the 8Ohm input of the pan like it would drive an 8Ohm speaker.
    You can even hook it up to an 8 Ohm speaker instead of a pan and use it like a regular amp.
    The pan is not expensive: 20 to 30$ vs 100 to 200$ for a speaker.

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

For me, enter the Strymon Flint again. Three different verbs and trems, stereo, expression and more, from 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a vintage stand-alone one-trick.

13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

julefront.jpg
    I tried a lot of them, but ended up with a Santa Cruz built by Jule Amps. They are kind of rare, but turned out to be the best unit that I came across...and got a great deal on it because nobody had heard of Jule amps around here and assumed it was some amateur build. I think he only builds bass amps these days, but he did high quality work. Keep an eye out and you might find one for sale.

14. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Get a Little Kahuna reverb/tremolo made Billy Zoom if you can find one!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.