Tube reverb shootout

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by charlie chitlin, Oct 19, 2019.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

'63 Reverb vs. '76 silverface Reverb
    Trusty '56 Deluxe Shaggy Dog that is my ground zero reference point for fine tone.
    At first, I was VERY surprised.
    The SF sounds great (I've been gigging it for years); very little change in amp tone, just nice reverb that sounds great even with the mix turned way up.
    On the other hand...the BF gives a SERIOUS case of "tone suck" at most settings; like rolled off treble.
    Can this be true?
    The revered BF 6G15 sounds like poo compared to the SF...that nobody really knows anything about?
    Next step...gig volume.
    OK...now I get it.
    The SF still sounds great, but the BF, which sounded woofy and "blanket over the amp" now, magically sounds sweet, creamy and delicious (great taste...less filling!) at volume.
    I have to play with them some more to really figure out what is going on.
    The only thing FOR SURE, is the SF has much less effect on the sound of the amp itself.
    The BF is definitely not as 'clear' but I guess it can be a fine line between warmth and mud;)

DSCN0018.JPG

uriah1, BorderRadio and corliss1 like this.
  2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

interesting. the 76 uses 6v6 and an extra 7025 so i would expect it to be somewhat different than the 6k6 63. i have a 65 in a blonde cab that sounds great. also with the 6k6.

play music!

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never had those two units to compare. Interesting. The later unit has a paralleled 12AX7 following the recovery triode....whereas the BF circuit has only that one triode influencing that signal. That has to send a different signal to the amp. Perhaps this is one idea CBS had that was a good one????

4. charlie chitlin

I'm really starting to think the later unit was consciously (and well) designed as an improvement.

5. Wally

The Teague and Sprung book says that paralleled 12AX7 at the end of the signal chain is a buffering stage between the driver and the output jack...which is to say it is a buffer between that driver and the input preamp gain stage of the amp into which one is running the reverb unit. as I understand it, a buffer stage prevents a succeeding gain stage from loading a preceding stage due to impedance mismatches.

6. charlie chitlin

Someday, I hope to know what this post means ;)

7. Wally

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

As far as I'm concerned the ultimate tube reverb is an original Hammond AO-35, the one countless yoyos hacked up to make Carmen Ghia clones.

It's spelled "Karmann Ghia". I owned three of them at one time. VW, not Doctor Z.

BajaGhia.png

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I don't believe I've ever seen, heard, or read about anyone using a stand-alone AO-35 reverb with guitar. Any favorite examples?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.