Tube Headphone amp

paperman

TDPRI Member
Almost all the time i play guitar i practice with headphones (my Senn HD650) through the output of the Marshall class 5, but now I need something smaller, like a desktop headphone amp, of course with tubes!!
Is there something out there?
Suggestions?
Thank you,
Alberto

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
What is your budget? Also, by smaller do you mean smaller in size or output?

My recommendation would be to keep your Class 5 and get a load box and IR cab to get better results through headphones. These devices can be purchased together or separate and range in price from very affordable to rather expensive. The UA Ox Box is probably the top of the line at about $1200. The Two Note Captor X is more mid-priced at about $600. You can put together a cheapskate's rig using a Bugera (or similar Harley Benton) load box (about $100 to $150) and an inexpensive IR cab pedal (about $75 to $150).

howlin

Tele-Afflicted
Currently, I’m running thru an ART tube pre into my 6-channel mixer all sitting comfortably on my desk. Granted, it is a bit messy. Because of that I think I’ll try running the ART into my Mustang Micro headphone amp. That should be interesting…

Let us know what you come up with.

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
maxresdefault.jpg

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I wouldn’t bother with trying to find something with tubes in it if it’s just for headphone use. Digital excels in this application and will give you a LOT more bang for your buck.

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
I need something smaller, like a desktop headphone amp, of course with tubes!!

I wouldn’t bother with trying to find something with tubes in it if it’s just for headphone use. Digital excels in this application and will give you a LOT more bang for your buck.
The OP did say "of course with tubes."

There are plenty of digital options available and plenty of info available about those options.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The OP did say "of course with tubes."

There are plenty of digital options available and plenty of info available about those options.

Yes he did, but I figured that for his needs he might find that tubes are not the best tool for this job. I have a room full of tube amps, with the means to load them properly to run direct with IRs for recording or headphone use, but through headphones it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between digital and tubes.

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
Almost all the time i play guitar i practice with headphones (my Senn HD650) through the output of the Marshall class 5, but now I need something smaller, like a desktop headphone amp, of course with tubes!!
Suggestions?
Thank you,
Alberto

Yes he did, but I figured that for his needs he might find that tubes are not the best tool for this job. I have a room full of tube amps, with the means to load them properly to run direct with IRs for recording or headphone use, but through headphones it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between digital and tubes.
OP, try the Marshall DSL-1CR. It is one watt all tube, can be reduced to 0.1 watt and has a headphone out (emulated out) 3/8" TRS stereo jack on the back. It is 2 channel with digital reverb and has the classic Marshall sounds.

Frodeboro, the OP didn't mention a need to load a roomful of tube amps and run them direct with IR's to recording or headphones. I tried to answer the OP's question specifically for the needs he asked about. Also nearly impossible varies from person to person, and headphone to headphone and nearly impossible is not the same as impossible.

MrshlDSL-1.jpg

Last edited:

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
OP, try the Marshall DSL-1CR. It is one watt all tube, can be reduced to 0.1 and has a headphone out (emulated out) 3/8" TRS stereo jack on the back. It is 2 channel with digital reverb and and has the classic Marshall sounds.

Frodeboro, the OP didn't mention a need to load a roomful of tube amps and run them direct with IR's to recording or headphones. I tried to answer the OP's question specifically for the needs he asked about. Also nearly impossible varies person to person and is not the same as impossible.

View attachment 924971

His primary need is a desktop headphone amp, since he mainly plays through headphones. I understand the tube thing many people have, but for a desktop headphone amp there are much better options out there. I don't care either way since I'm not the one that will be buying it or using it, but since I've already been down that road I figured I might as well throw the option out there because I have found it to be a much better approach for headphone playing (which I do almost every night).

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
His primary need is a desktop headphone amp, since he mainly plays through headphones...I don't care either way since I'm not the one that will be buying it or using it, but since I've already been down that road I figured I might as well throw the option out there...
Well, there are good options available with tube amps as well, which other posters and I have suggested. Each of us have been down different "roads" and the road I've been down has been a successful use of amps with headphones. I use a relatively flat sounding set of Sennheiser HD-201s. Headphones vary in quality and with a good set, a small tube amp with a headphone out like a Marshall DSL-1CR or a used Fender Champ 12 from the late '80s early '90s sounds great IMHO. Long story short, based on my experience, I answered the question the OP asked. The OP said "of course tubes", not should be or could be tubes.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fender champ 12

FenderRedknobChamp12.jpg

Last edited:

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
I feel like the tubes in most of these ‘tube amps’ are really glorified light bulbs. I had a Two Notes Le Crunch and the power draw for the pedal wasn’t enough to even power a tube.