Tube Amps / Pedal Boards are now truly obsolete - in my opionion

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 1018741

=O•

Yikes! You're kidding, right? I'd need a telescope to read those switches and a rocket scientist at my elbow to remind me what all the small print means. Bank? Memory? Freeze? Puh-leeez!

And there are almost no effects labeled there that I use, ever. Plus, it took me years to find the pedals that get exactly the sounds I want.

So, many thanks, but I'm dropping my sheckels elsewhere. I wanna play, not shoegaze!
You don't know what your looking at...period...

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
My ‘63 Lincoln is obsolete, but it’s way cooler than a Tesla! And when the E.M. Pulse comes it will still run just like my tube amps.
All kidding aside, I am sure digital has come a long way since I last tried it. I hated scrolling through menus just to tweak a parameter. I never really felt anything personal or had any type of connection at the gut level if you know what I mean. I consider my amps and stomp boxes to be a part of the instrument as well.
Hey, if we all did the same thing it would make for a boring world so if it works for you then go for it! In the end it’s about what inspires us to play.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Horses for courses.

I'm looking at an iPad based setup for a fly in gig. Mainly because the iPad is doing a bunch of other things on stage already and it's there. This idea hinges completely on latency - a pet peeve of mine. If that proves to be an issue I'll be looking at a Radial Direct Drive with a few pedals.

I love using amps and pedals. At home, yes. Lugging it around or worse, checking it on a plane, no thanks.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
What about splitting the difference a la Revv D20/G20 (2 6v6, 2 12ax7, in-built Two Notes IR loader).

That's the route I intend to go with my next guitar-related purchase, seems like a decent compromise, but I am a complete dope on amps and gear generally.
Well this is weird. About two hours after I posted this my Katana lost power. Fuse intact, guy tells me it's likely the power supply transformer, $40 to diagnose. May run it up to the place later, but I'm thinking I probably I shouldn't put good money after bad, and just get the Revv, right? That's how I'm selling it to the Ministress of Finance anyhow.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I don’t trust the longevity of newer tech, regardless of who put it together. My old Line 6 POD XT Live has rotary switches and soft touch buttons that need replacing. It would be ridiculous to take it in. Would parts even be available? On older amps, switches, pots, caps and tubes are much easier to replace, and their basic design assures parts from other manufacturers will work.
Here's the catch though: the same holds true of lots of modern tube amplifiers. Many of them have cheap parts, and wouldn't be worth repairing if they broke. Unless you're going full-out boutique hand-wired, a new tube amplifier would probably end up in a landfill if it broke as readily as digital gear would.

Is it worth repairing that 40-watt Bugera combo, or that AC10C1? Maybe, maybe not.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's the catch though: the same holds true of lots of modern tube amplifiers. Many of them have cheap parts, and wouldn't be worth repairing if they broke. Unless you're going full-out boutique hand-wired, a new tube amplifier would probably end up in a landfill if it broke as readily as digital gear would.

Is it worth repairing that 40-watt Bugera combo, or that AC10C1? Maybe, maybe not.
It’s a good question. My only experience with tube amps are with newer VOX, Orange and Traynor.

The Traynors are known for being rugged and up here, owners can pop into any Long and McQuade to get them repaired.

I played a VOX Night Train onto a shop bench. I did have to shell out for parts and labour, but the tech also made it ship-shape. I thought the repair was worth it.

An Orange Tiny Terror I owned gave me no grief. It was reported the handwired English made had problems.

I now own an Orange Rocker 15 Terror and VOX Night Train G2 head. Both are working well, and I expect the same performance and possible bench time from them as the previous ones I owned.

All of these amps could be worked on and parts easily obtained if needed. I don’t feel that the aftermarket for motherboards and CPUs is as secure in the long run.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
As an aside, and as with vinyl, film photography has found a resurgence and film sales are predicted to rise. And its younger generations who are rediscovering the magic of the old technology.

I find when I use a film camera I take pictures more purposefully.
Likewise I feel the same way playing through a simple amp and effects that don't niggle at my consciousness with a thousand options!

I've also experienced the joy of camera image file formats ceasing to be supported and software and hardware losing functionality as OS updates leave them behind. Likewise devices with integrated batteries that can't be replaced - built in obsolescence takes the p#ss these days.

Good example.

Film is way closer to obsolete than tube amps are. And yet it's pretty debatable whether film is obsolete. Film is also still used by plenty of photographers, it's still made, and there is still some new developments in film from time to time.

But it would seem tube amps have a much higher % market share among guitar players and/or are still a very good business compared to the market share of film versus digital photos or the business level success of film versus digital cameras and digital photo products.

If film isn't obsolete tube amps are not either. And vinyl records are certainly not obsolete. Something doesn't have to have the maximum unit sales to not be obsolete.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
They'll likely end up in antique stores... except the newer ones from China which might end up in landfills.
I've had my chinese made special 6 for nearly 15 years without any problems. I bet you anything that the modeling tech of your choice will end up in landfill before it. Amps don't come with a shelf life like computer based stuff does. You only get 7-8 years tops out of any piece of modern tech.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
To me a lot of this is about how you decide what "better" means.

If you think better means that you have more FX built in and you have the ability to make your amp sound like more amps clearly tube amps and simple analog/digital pedals are inferior.

If you think simple user interface and the fewest distractions or barriers between you and the guitar and the overall sound is better than maybe you still think tube amps and simple analog/digital pedals are better.

A lot of people who like tube amps like single channel tube amps more than multi-channel tube amps because they are simpler with fewer options. A lot of people who like pedals like simple pedals with 1:1 knob:tone selections and no Midi, Presets, or alternate functions for the same reason.

If you give someone a tube amp with an on/off switch, volume knob, tone knob, reverb level they will stop fiddling with the knobs and get on with playing/practicing/making music a lot faster than if you give them a laptop and an interface.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
To me a lot of this is about how you decide what "better" means.

If you think better means that you have more FX built in and you have the ability to make your amp sound like more amps clearly tube amps and simple analog/digital pedals are inferior.

If you think simple user interface and the fewest distractions or barriers between you and the guitar and the overall sound is better than maybe you still think tube amps and simple analog/digital pedals are better.

A lot of people who like tube amps like single channel tube amps more than multi-channel tube amps because they are simpler with fewer options. A lot of people who like pedals like simple pedals with 1:1 knob:tone selections and no Midi, Presets, or alternate functions for the same reason.

If you give someone a tube amp with an on/off switch, volume knob, tone knob, reverb level they will stop fiddling with the knobs and get on with playing/practicing/making music a lot faster than if you give them a laptop and an interface.
That's me right there. A single ended amp, a reverb, a drive and a wah and I'm good to go.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I've had my chinese made special 6 for nearly 15 years without any problems. I bet you anything that the modeling tech of your choice will end up in landfill before it. Amps don't come with a shelf life like computer based stuff does. You only get 7-8 years tops out of any piece of modern tech.
You might need to clarify what you mean - a piece of digital gear like a PC might end up in a landfill in 7-8 years because its CPU can't keep up with the latest software or OS, and will eventually quit working. But digital guitar gear is self-contained (outside of occasional firmware updates) and even when the unit is no longer supported, it will keep working just fine until it blows up. And so far I haven't had any blow up.

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
In my home tube amps are alive and well.
I don't have a pedalboard, but have a delay pedal.
A player should get what makes them inspired.
For me the sound I get from my little 5 watt tube amp makes me smile.
It's the real thing, maybe even better than the real thing.:cool:

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've already got all the toobs I could possibly ever want or need ;)

20220314_234418122_iOS.jpg

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 1018741

=O•

Yikes! You're kidding, right? I'd need a telescope to read those switches and a rocket scientist at my elbow to remind me what all the small print means. Bank? Memory? Freeze? Puh-leeez!

And there are almost no effects labeled there that I use, ever. Plus, it took me years to find the pedals that get exactly the sounds I want.

So, many thanks, but I'm dropping my sheckels elsewhere. I wanna play, not shoegaze!
I can't read the print on my pedal board, I have to use a flashlight. My modeler is backlit, very easy to read.

I've been using pedals for 15+ years and bought/sold a bunch. I like my current pedal configuration but it's nothing sacred.
The modeler took a couple days to sort out a set of effects I like. So,..... years vs days

As for my remaining shekels, after spending $1,000+ on six pedals, power supply, cables, and board, there are no remaining shekels. After the couple days of setting up my modeler I only play, no gazing here.