Tube Amp Repairs and Noise Levels (bothering neighbors)

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jbealsmusic, Feb 24, 2017.

1. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

I work at a small mid-west liberal arts college that has a focus on music performance and education. There are sound proof booths everywhere on campus (even in some dorm lounges). And these get removed and/or replaced every so often. We had several stored in an old ratty barn until someone bought two for $500 each. They broke down flat and could in back of a pickup. Might be worth checking with some local schools or music centers.

t guitar floyd and bparnell57 like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Too bad there is no basement space that you could use. I used to work for a gun shop years ago that was operated out of a converted house. The test range was in the basement and we must have fired off a 1,000 rounds per week and the neighbors never knew it.

Of course it wasn't ventilated so we will all likely die from the lead build up now, but this was 20 years ago.

MickM and bparnell57 like this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looking at it from the business stand point, that shop will have the same problem no matter where they rent unless they set up out in the countryside. So, it is more there problem than it is yours. I think the cost for a soundproof room is really theirs and I would suggest that they purchase a portable commercial unit so that it doesn't make any structural changes to your building if they were to relocate.

This can't be the only shop around your area....what are the others doing to avoid sound violations?

bparnell57 likes this.
  4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Just checked out ebay in the US and there seems to be a plethora of used "sound proof booths" for sale. Anything from $1500 lexan fully enclosed drum set isolation shields (probably could take off 10 db's with one of these, some foam, and a rubber floor mat) to $3000 used 7' cube hearing test booths that could take 25+ db's off easily.

See if there are any available in your area.

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

A couple sheets of plywood and insulation material is enough to build a box inside a box. If you plan today, it could easily be done tomorrow.

bparnell57 likes this.
  6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

How do lumber yards, sawmills, auto repair businesses, hot rod shops, machine shops and metalworking facilities stay in business? They can't completely noise-proof those types of businesses.

There must be one or more industrial zones with different controls - Never seen a major city without them.

bparnell57 likes this.
  7. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Ottawa can be quite umm, "special" in a lot of cases. It's can be the smallest, tight-assed big city at times. Ottawa now is a large amalgamation of several former municipalities, all of which came with their own zoning and bylaws. Once amalgamated into one city, a lot was taken as the lowest common denominator and applied across the whole whether it made sense or not. As a native, I shake my head often how city council acquiesces to minority interest groups.

8. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Ottawa is the exception by having no exception to the rule. It applies city-wide to all zones. It's just that no one complains, because they are generally smart enough to know that you'll get a lot of noise in an industrial area.

lol It's the "politician's town". Of course it is a perpetual mess in a lot of ways. ;)

9. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Does the noise limit apply with their windows and doors open? Seem like it shouldn't. I'd try to find out if I were you, if it turns out that you are only in violation if it rises above 45db with their doors and windows closed, then maybe you don't have a problem.

10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

My shop is in the middle 40 acres. So there's a distance between me and the neighbors. Our other business ventures involve airplanes and hot rods/restorations so amps are the quieter parts of our business ventures.

I'm also under a MOA A10s A18s and F16s are pretty noisy overhead.

11. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

My favourite breakfast restaurant got a $350 fine because the 4am bread delivery was "too noisey" for one of his neighbours. The convenience store at the corner gets a milk delivery at 5am and the driver leaves the radio on and the doors open so he can hear it better....no complaint....no problem.

Still a government town. They seem to understand the "office" mentality but they don't really get "business". There are empty storefronts on every block in Ottawa and they seem hell bent to obstruct you or hold you back any way they can. It boggles the mind.

Best of luck NextGen. Your neighbour complain about the primary school down the road as well?

Regards

jbealsmusic likes this.
  12. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Could just ask person to test amps before or after business hours. Not every amp maintance or repair should required extended and/or high volume testing.

bparnell57 likes this.
  13. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Just please not another 4 years of Mayor Jim "makes vanilla seems exciting" Watson....

I just can't stand the hypocrisy of touting how "world class" we are and then acting so small. How long has every world city had light rail/subways? A downtown sporting venue, buildings taller than 20 stories etc etc

bparnell57 likes this.
  14. Silverface

Again, those sound like businesses in a commercial/business district - not an industrial district. There's a big difference.

15. jbealsmusic

Check the location by his username. He suffers the same fate as us (Nepean is part of Ottawa). By the letter of the bylaw, the same rules apply regardless whether you're zoned for residential, commercial, institutional, industrial, etc. The only difference is whether or not someone complains.

The government doing a top notch job as usual. :lol:

16. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

I was going to go on an anti municipal rant but that doesn't help in any way. You have no choice but to cave in to your neighbours wants. It sucks and it's not fair, but that is the reality of the situation.

I wish you the best of luck with this

FB

jbealsmusic likes this.
  17. Silverface

I just reviewed the City Ordinance, and it primarily covers (as far as music equipment) operation that can be heard *outside* the business - not inside a shop itself. General regulations that cover general business-related noise provide exemptions for certain parts of the City, which appear to be industrial zones.

But as far as in-shop noise being heard next door or outside, there's nothing fundamentally different between Ottawa and any city I've had dealings with - every one prohibits noise outside of businesses and specific restrictions are triggered by complaints. r don't see anything more retractive than other cities, especially regarding residential zones, off-hours noise, construction work etc.

I'm not aware of any complaints around here when shops are located in industrial zones - and even some of those have prevented any future complaints by using isolation boxes for amp tests. Any music store located in a commercial zone limits noise themselves, and those shops either don't do amp work or have their own noise controls.

An isolation box is a heck of a lot cheaper than moving.

18. jbealsmusic

You must have missed section 19, where it specifically discusses sound that can be heard within another business. Again, the zone doesn't matter.

http://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents.ottawa.ca/files/2004_253_en.pdf

SECTION 19
    "No person shall operate or use or cause to be operated or used any sound reproduction device originating from or in connection with the operation of any commercial establishment between 0700 hours and 2300 hours of the same day, the noise from which sound reproduction device when measured in any business, dwelling house, apartment house, hotel or any other type of residence has an equivalent sound level (Leq) greater than 45 dBA."
    To paraphrase, you can't make noise with musical equipment between 7am and 11pm if the sound can be measured at 45dB or greater in another businesses or residence.

Other sections of the bylaw do not apply to the situation at hand. Our issue is specifically with "sound reproduction devices" AKA: Musical Equipment. Which has no exemptions for any zone. It's just a poorly written bylaw in that regard.

Regardless, all this stuff was dealt with weeks ago. We did some elementary sound proofing to get the levels below 45dB in their offices. They'll probably move eventually anyways because they have so many other issues with their unit and other tenants in the building that the landlord seems to completely ignore.

19. Silverface

No, I did not.

Inside "another business" is outside the business itself. And the ordinance itself addresses commercial zones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.