1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tube Amp Puzzler

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Torren61, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I went out to my music room to play through my old Marshall. I grabbed a guitar and a cable and plugged in and was swimming in glorious overdriven tube amp tones. I played for about an hour before I had to run some errands. I put away my toys and took care of my errands.

An hour later I went back out to my music room to play through my old Marshall again.

I grabbed a guitar and a cord and plugged in. I gave the amp a minute to warm up and took it off standby. I was met with a horrible noise! No, not my playing. It sounded like a red plating power tube. I quickly looked around the back of the amp to see which power tube was red plating but none were red so I shut off the amp quickly.

What the heck?

It must be a bad tube so I let the tubes cool and pulled all of the tubes and tested them on my Orange tube tester. All of the tubes tested good. I figured it must then be a bad ground inside the amp but before I pulled the chassis, I looked everything over very carefully.

That's when I read two words and immediately knew I had made a mistake. I changed one thing and sixty seconds later I was again enjoying the sound of a sweet overdriven Marshall.

What were the two words I read and what did I change?

There is no prize except the honor of figuring out the answer to the puzzler. I'll give the answer in a week if no one figures it out before then.

Btw, this actually happened to me.

2. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Grabbed a speaker wire instead of an instrument?

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Different/bad cable.

4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

"line in"

5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Damn, that was quick! Correct. I think I'll go eat worms now. I grabbed a speaker cable by mistake. To those that don't know, a speaker cable used to connect your cab to your amp head is not shielded but an instrument cable IS shielded. A speaker doesn't work for use as an instrument cable. You guys are GOOOOOD! Well done!

Oh, the two words I read were "speaker cable".

BobbyZ, Burning Fingers and tubegeek like this.
  6. JWH7

JWH7 TDPRI Member

I use the Xvive Guitar wireless transmitter/ receiver system. never ran into that problem. thanks for posting good info to know. in my case instead of instrument and speaker cable is transmitter and receiver don't get them in the wrong position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.