Tube Amp for Bedroom

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KirchGeetar, Oct 23, 2019.

1. KirchGeetar

KirchGeetar TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a tube amp that sounds good at a rather low volume and can take pedals well. I've been looking at the Fender Champs from the 70s, but I'd be willing to look into newer models. It's my dream to get a Marshall combo or a Fender Bandmaster, but I'd never be able to crank 'em or turn 'em up as loud as I want . I mainly play blues/60s garage/psych, so I'm open to suggestions on amps.

Thanks!

2. eLWOOD1776

eLWOOD1776 TDPRI Member

I have a Peavey Classic 30 that has never been past 5/12 volume. It definitely sounds better at higher volumes, but still sounds great at bedroom volumes. Don't hold back on getting an amp that you want just because it doesn't sound ideal at low volume.

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

The Marshall DSL5CR looks nice. Has every feature you could need. FX loop, 1W power setting, reverb and a 10" speaker.

Axegrinder77 and KirchGeetar like this.
  4. KirchGeetar

KirchGeetar TDPRI Member

Guess you're right about that. Might snatch up a Bandmaster before the price goes any higher. I was looking into the Peavey Classics awhile back. How well do they handle pedals?

Jesse414 likes this.
  5. KirchGeetar

KirchGeetar TDPRI Member

I've been looking into the DSL or the Orgin series. The Orgin looks really nice.

6. pipethemike

pipethemike TDPRI Member

silvertone 1481

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Origin doesn't have enough gain for me, but that's a nice choice too. Another good thing about the DSL5 is the controls on the front of the amp! I wouldn't mind having one of these someday. The high gain on my Randall RD5 sounds much nicer than the DSL, IMO, but I don't have a 2 channels, reverb or a low power option. I do have an FX loop and a 12" speaker. I don't recommend my amp because it's not for all tastes and it's very limited, but I love it.

8. eLWOOD1776

eLWOOD1776 TDPRI Member

It's got an effects send/return loop, so it should handle whatever you throw at it. Mine works really well with my Boss GT-1000 using a 4-cable method. With the 4CM, I can use the modeled preamps in the Boss, I can by-pass the pedal completely and hear the peavey alone, I can use the peavey's preamp with Boss effects on top, or I can make a huge mess out of modeled preamps on top of the peavey's preamp. The peavey classics are extremely underrated IMO, and you could find a used one for a hell of a deal. A friend of mine just got a classic 50 for $300.

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had a Hayden Lil' Mofo which contained many good sounds. 2 Watts, gain, tone stack and master volume. The combo has a digital reverb built in. It's a gainy thing, and does Sonics/Stooges/13th Floor Elevators/MC5 type stuff very well indeed. Handled whatever I threw at it quite well. Very sturdily built. I had the head unit.

Yamaha THR10. Not valve in the slightest. They sound so good though at close quarters, you'd forgive them.

Marshall DSL1/Blackstar HT-1/Marshall DSL5/Blackstar HT-5 either head/cab or combo, they seem to garner much praise.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Of maybe 20-25 tube amps I have, the one I find best for lowest possible volume when my wife is asleep in the next room turned out to be my old 50w Marshall half stack.
    To make this happen I roll the guitar volume knob back maybe half way to soften and warm up the tone.
    No treble bleed of course as that wouldn't get warmer as you turn down.

I really don't use distortion at lowest possible volume though, never sounds right to try to get screaming guitar at whisper volume.
    For a more practical bedroom amp that's not as big as a bed, I find 18w Marshalls sound great at lower volume, even with some dirt added, but not down to whisper.

My best lowest volume screaming guitar sounds generally comes from an Orange OR15 head on the 7w setting.
    Few amps get the screaming distortion convincingly at low volumes.
    Many claim that the Yamaha THR10 does whisper quiet screaming guitar sounds, but we each have our own idea of what sounds great and what sounds ridiculous.
    A Line 6 pod isn't the worst whisper level screaming guitar if you must have screaming guitar at whisper volume.
    I prefer clean sounds at those volumes, and not headphones.

bftfender likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

there is where i get in trouble but these all work excellent at low volume..set up right with trainwreck 3 PPIMV..can sit in front of a 4x12 & its anything ya want it to be at whisper levels..perfect clean..deep crunch..all in an almost hi fi like sound cause of 4x12.. 6heads (2).jpg

rze99, tery and lewis like this.
  12. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

+10!

13. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I put those in my bedroom, I got no room for the bed!:lol:

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have a DSL20CR that sounds ok at lower volumes. It sounds better at higher volumes, though. And it's a little picky with pedals.

I have an SF Champ that is perfect for low volume, and loves pedals. Get one, and keep it forever. They're small, and easy to fix. It will certainly outlast my DSL20CR in more ways than one.

EDIT: Origin doesn't really do low volume well, IMO. But they do take pedals ok, which helps. But if you want fuller low end (necessary for bedroom level noodling), get a Fender.

magic smoke likes this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, bigger is better. I get better low volume sound out of my DRRI or my 5F11 then I do out of my 5F1 Champ. Small amps at low volume just sound thin and terrible.

16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

super Champ xd

vashondan, 39martind18 and JuneauMike like this.
  17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

That would be a good one.

vashondan, Dismalhead and 39martind18 like this.
  18. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

My bedroom amp, also used for low volume gigs: Super Champ XD running 6L6s and a JBL D110F. Loads of Fendery cleans, and a bunch of interesting voices in the modelling channel, clean and high gain, and a full suite of effects make it a very effective swiss army knife of an amp. _561.JPG For less volume, try the Super Vibro Champ (5 watts, 8 in speaker).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    DrPepper, P Thought, Alamo and 3 others like this.
  19. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Yes it's overkill but I've always like the sound of a Twin Reverb with the volume set at 1-2.

Daytona.57, nixdad and tubelectron like this.
  20. Apache Snow

Apache Snow TDPRI Member

I just bought a Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt amp with a 12 inch Celestion speaker. It has a spring reverb too. Its made in China. It is a tube amp and I will say it sounds great for $199
    Look up reviews on youtube. Its kinda a blues JR clone and sounds as good or better. Oh yeah it has a button for 15 watts or 1 watt. This cheap Chinese amp is the real deal.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    nixdad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.