Tube amp and mutli fx unit

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Cloodie, May 22, 2020.

1. Cloodie

Cloodie TDPRI Member

I'm eventually going to upgrade to a Tone King Gremlin amp. Up till now I've just being using digital and solid state amps with built in effects although I did buy a Boss Me 80 muti-effects unit many years ago and barely used it. Given I'll be looking for some reverb and possibly some sort of drive pedal when I get around to buying the amp would it be considered sacrilege to use a mutli effects unit on such a, to my ears, great amp? Will individual pedals sound a good bit better?

2. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Nope, I think it makes practical sense.

I gigged and jammed for a longtime with a Digitech RP350, 500 and 1000 in to tjhe front of my amps. AC30, Class 5 etc.

Now I use a Helix LT in to AC30, Origin 20, AC4TV-12. Purely as a pedal board with the amp modelling for recording and headphone practice.

I HATE pedal power supplies, short leads etc. and all the mess involved and batteries for pedals is a pain so MFX for me.

mfguitar and Cloodie like this.
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Why ever not?? I have a Zoom MS-100BT in front of my AC15C1 (Normal channel) for when I want chorus or extra distortion (Rat simulation) or occasionally some other weird and whacky patch. Most of the time I either play clean with just a bit of compression or direct guitar to Top Boost channel but having a multi-fx gives me plenty more options when I want them.

Cloodie likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

At home and for small jams I use a Tech 21 Fly Rig into a homebrew 5F1 Twin Champ. It's a 2 x 8" in a 1 x 12" cab size. Sounds fantastic at low volumes, and can get window-rattling loud. This:

[​IMG]

5. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

Sacrilege would be getting a 60s or 70s tube amp and cutting it up to put a fx loop in it. Or any other major mod.

What you're talking about is no biggie.

Cloodie likes this.
  6. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Muliteffects units, if used carefully, can be great. And pragmatic solutions to problem. Vintage amp? No problem. I've toured for years with a vintage Deluxe Reverb and an AC15 and a zoom G5n (before that G3x, before that Boss ME 50 and ME 70). In town I use the same through a Tone King Imperial. It sounds great. And I don't have to worry about weight, those cables you're talking about, etc...

On the other hand, individual pedals are really cool...) If this strange time ever ends I might go that route for gigs here in LA...

Cloodie likes this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There’s nothing sacrilegious about making your gear work the best way it can for you.

OP- do whatever works. If it makes you happy, it’s all good.

Frodebro and Cloodie like this.
  8. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I don't do dirt pedals so my Zoom G3 goes in the effects loop of my 6505+ for time based effects and the noise gate in case I use crunch or the lead channel. Works great and is a breeze to use.

Cloodie likes this.
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been running tube amps along with digital effects for years. Best of both worlds.

Jakedog and Cloodie like this.
  10. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I recently switched back to tube amps after probably 20 years of SS. I use a Boss multi in front of a custom built tube amp and I love it. Our other guitar player prefers individual pedals and has a great sound as well, to each their own. I just really dig the simplicity.

Cloodie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.