Tua Tagovailoa's injury last night was difficult to watch. What were they thinking?

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I can't understand the Dolphin organization playing that young man 4 days after his head slammed the ground, he gets up staggering and clearly dazed in the Sunday game. Then, he is slammed to the ground again Thursday and his reflexive reaction was nauseatingly frightening to watch.
I've had a concussion before and was thinking very clearly after about 24-36 hours but was told "no driving", "no physical activity" and told to rest for a week. However, the medical experts employed by the teams think it's okay to have a player be subjected to violent hits and situations four days after a previous concussion?
Is winning a game so important to endanger a players life or his future?

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Have mentioned before this is why I don't watch the game any longer.

As I heard it, they did a full halftime segment on Tua, but failed to mention either Sunday's concussion or that the players' association was demanding an investigation into what the team/league called a "back injury" that day. Unconscionable.

Last edited:

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
Professional sports have not been about "the game" for a long time.

Properties to be maximized and discarded, and somehow the financial supporters (fans) don't care.

Their actions show clearly the motivation and the lack of humanity in their decision making process.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Completely disgusting by Miami. I'm a Steelers fan and instantly thought of Ryan Shazier when I saw Tua lying on the ground, very glad that he ended up being able to move his extremities after some time. I've had three or four concussions before and I still can't imagine how Tua's feeling right now. He got rocked two times in what, four days?

Coaches and medical staff need to be fired, draft picks taken away. Not just his career, but his life was in their hands and they completely failed him. Don't blame him if he never plays for Miami again or even retires.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Screenshot_20220930-204742.png
Screenshot_20220930-204753.png
Screenshot_20220930-204808.png

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I just saw that as I’ve been away from civilization. Actually a bit surprised the Dolphins would do something so glaringly rotten in this day and age, with a lotta attention on concussions. Incredibly stupid, unconscionable and it’s attracting a ton of attention on how poor the teams management is.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
There’s a parody movie about teen movies which is hilarious - “Not Another Teen Movie.” There’s a scene in this movie where one of the valuable football players is dazed after being hit. He is asked if he’s okay and responds, “Coach says it’s okay to bleed from the ears.” Someone should explain the sick humor of this scene to Tua.

The NFL, in my opinion, has performed a masterful “sleight of hand” PR campaign by persuading the public to focus just upon “concussions.” Let me explain.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is the brain disease discovered not too long ago by a pathologist in Pittsburgh. It is thought to result from repetitive head trauma.

Consider linemen whose helmets hit other helmets every play… practice after practice, game after game, season after season from little league through high school and, with some, through college and pro years. Most never get their “bell rung” or experience concussions… but many end up with CTE.

The researchers with the most experience with this disease (at Northeastern University) feel that it is probably the result of repeated “sub-concussive” brain injuries.

In other words, repeated head injuries which do not result in significant symptoms of brain injury. This is to say, repeated brain injuries in the absence of concussions!

I’m not downplaying the significance of concussions; these are serious. But I’ve both read articles and spoken with people and parents who think that CTE is caused only by concussions… THIS IS WRONG!!! Current medical thought is that CTE is caused largely - and possibly exclusively - by repeated subconcussive injuries… about which there may be no (zero, none, nada) symptoms until later in life, usually years after their playing days are over— after the damage is done!

The last I looked there were no reliable tests to evaluate the development of this disease. The diagnosis is made only at autopsy.

So don’t be fooled into believing that CTE results just from concussions; it usually from repeated non-concussive/sub-concussive injuries that usually go unnoticed when the injuries are sustained.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
I can't understand the Dolphin organization playing that young man 4 days after his head slammed the ground, he gets up staggering and clearly dazed in the Sunday game. Then, he is slammed to the ground again Thursday and his reflexive reaction was nauseatingly frightening to watch.
I've had a concussion before and was thinking very clearly after about 24-36 hours but was told "no driving", "no physical activity" and told to rest for a week. However, the medical experts employed by the teams think it's okay to have a player be subjected to violent hits and situations four days after a previous concussion?
Is winning a game so important to endanger a players life or his future?
Ain't nothing to think about, the sport (tackle football) should be banned, especially at the grade school, middle school, high school levels. Americans can live without it. The rest of the world does.

Last edited:

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Don't worry, the NFL is investigating itself, I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it.

This is at the heart of it. The status quo allows the league to pay lip service to this problem without doing anything substantial, and there is zero accountability. Given the financial incentives situations like Tua's are inevitable, and I fear someone is going to have to die before that changes. Unfortunately, that's how it usually works with pro sports. Until the money is threatened nothing is going to really change.

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
As a life long football player (well, until high school ended 4.543 yeas ago) and life long football lover, its hard to see this happen.

Back when I played, if it wasn't a compound fracture (ala Joe Thiesmann) you were good to go and somewhat of a weenie if you didn't man up and go back in.

Of course, this was back in the day of 7-8 second 'smokin' forties.

The size, speed, strength and killer instinct bread into today's players is quite frightening!

I love the fact my seven year old grandson is tearing it up with his flag football team, but fearful for his future as he can't wait to graduate to tackle (real football as he says) football.

As much as love watching (and playing way back in the day) football, the horrible injuries we see every week are too much. I guess it's easy for players to overlook things when 'generational wealth" is on the table.