TU-3S DISONTINUED?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Kayle McGuire, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

I recently found out, from two large music retailers, that the Boss TU-3S (compact tuner) has been discontinued and is no longer in production.

Is this unusual? I haven’t seen Boss discontinue a pedal so fast since the DA-2, MO-2, and TE-2 that launched back in 2013.

I wonder why they were discontinued... not enough demand? Poor sales? Or is something better coming at NAMM this January?

Down the road, when retails stores run out of these guys, do you think the TU-3S’s will go up in price? Maybe if Boss plans on releasing a “TU-4S” these will depreciate in value?

Please share your thoughts!

KM

Attached Files:

SadCowboy likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Oddball design?

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I really liked the idea of them and would have bought one but I already had a TU-3. The standard TU-3 does have a few features I would miss though, signal split and mute.

4. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Roland/ Boss do bring out the odd design that clearly doesn't sell and gets dropped quickly. I remember those orange amps from a few years ago that they could hardly give away.
    I guess the 3S is more niche than a regular pedal tuner. There are also so many tuners on the market yet it's not something you need to update, whilst there are a thousand flavours of overdrive there's only one version of in tune.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This "pedal" is only for people with looper systems that have a "direct out/mute" switch/out.
    They aren't to many of these people around to sustain the production of such a device...
    The classic BOSS tuner is much more usefull to a guitarist ,first of all as a nice BUFFER and secondly as a mute switch (there is also the 3rd option : an actual power source that can power other pedals).

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

3rd option is just a daisy chain not a power supply, also option 2 can be achieved with the volume knob but something to stomp on is also my preference.

7. Nick Fanis

That's why I wrote power SOURCE and not supply :)

Actually it is very useful if you have to ''power'' a germanium fuzz that needs reverse polarity and you are powering your whole board with a One Spot.

I had tremendous noise when I used the RP cable of the One Spot to power the GF that disappeared when I used the TU2 as a power source for it.

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

9. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Im suprised it works with a reverse polarity, there must be some sort of isolation then. When using daisy chain to power a pedal that needs +9v and another that needs -9v it shouldnt work. The pedal that uses +9v makes the negative terminal ground and the -9v pedal makes the positive terminal ground so it actually shorts the power supply. The noise is probably picked up from the max current surging out of the PSU.

I take it back then that is extremely useful if it is creating a voltage source isolated from the input voltage.

(But I just realised the TU-3S also includes this feature)

10. Nick Fanis

I agree ,I was also very surprised that the TU2 (not TU3 I was using a TU2 ) behaved this way.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I forgot they had a mini

12. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the GA series. That came and went fast. I wonder if they were actually any good? The demos were definitely not impressive.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    RoyalBaby likes this.
  13. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It does look too be discontinued. L&M has it limited to stock on hand and $30 off the regular price. Maybe it will be the next Klon:lol::lol::lol:

RoyalBaby likes this.
  14. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The lack of the mute feature is annoying to me. The tuner only works with the volume knob on the guitar turned up, OK at home, but at a gig nobody wants to hear you tune.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I'll never buy another Boss pedal tuner. The TU-2 I bought 15 years ago is so indestructable and reliable that I am likely stuck with it for life.

16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

polarity stuff aside, I'm confused with the marketing concept - for the same price you get half the pedal?

what?

In any event, looks like Sweetwater still has some in inventory.

17. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

The Boss TU-3S does have power out option, identical to the regular TU-3.

Attached Files:

18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Yes the GA series, I couldn't think of the name. I remember them coming out and within maybe six months ( although I might well be very wrong) they were heavily discounted and then gone.

As Roland/ Boss sell pretty much in every market in the world for a product to be unappreciated world wide it was probably very bad.

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I have one. Interested? $250... or best offer.

20. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Same! I was given mine as a high school graduation gift...still going strong, can't see ever getting rid of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.