Trying to talk Strat sense to a friend...Oy...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

He’s the keyboard player in our band and very talented dude, and his daughter wants a guitar for Christmas. An electric guitar.

In talking with him, he and I both agreed that a Strat would be most versatile.

He played some classic vibe Squier’s at the music store near us and he thinks he wants to get her one of those , but I found a 1999 virtually untouched/mint Mexican standard in black with a rosewood board for $300 or best offer. Still has the plastic on the pg and a Fender gig bag .

CV’s are $360-ish .

to me it’s a no brainer but I’m sure there’s people on this forum that would much rather have a classic vibe than an MIM Std.

Not me.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The daughter will know which she likes... nicer to let her try a few

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

It isn't about you , is it ?

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Some people might prefer to gift a 'new' guitar, however odd that may seem to us.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

A CV could very easily be a “better” guitar than a 99 MIM Standard. I’ve played CVs and VMs that only needed a setup and fret dressing in order to be gigged indiscriminately with my AVs. Only in the past five to eight years or so have I been able to say the same thing about standard level MIMs.

I’ve had an older MIM Standard Strat (‘04) since new. There’s no question that almost any off-the-shelf CV would be better than it was when it was new...and it wasn’t even “that bad” when new.

CVs are insane bangs for the buck, and come factory and retailer backed in case of issue. I think a new CV over a ‘99 MIM is really the no brainer.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I agree with Esquire. It's a toss-up between a CV and a MIM. A new CV probably has better pickups. My VM thinline tele has nearly replaced my American Professional strat as my #1.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think she will be very happy and really won't care which guitar she gets ...unless she is reading this post ...

8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For a first electric guitar, a Tele might be a better option, having less "features" to deal with.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Some will be happy with whatever they get and some want to pick out their own or it will be in vain.

LowCaster likes this.
  10. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

This is just one old man's opinion on the matter and is not intended as a judgment on others.

If I were giving someone a first guitar as a gift I'd give a box with a picture of a guitar in it and then after Christmas Day we'd head down to the local guitar stores, including Guitar Center - don't hate! - and let her feel the fit of as many necks and bodies as possible and let her pick.

11. boop

boop Tele-Meister

I have an early 2000s MIM standard, It's a good guitar, but the pickups are not exactly awe inspiring.

12. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I don’t think we can say which is a better guitar without trying it.

The problem with kids and gifts is that it is better if they can choose and get exactly what they like.

:rolleyes: Huge mistake here. I could say that I disagree with you and that a simpler and smaller guitar would be better (Duo-sonic, Mustang, Jaguar, Les Paul Junior, SG...). What if she wants something else?

Last time I asked a kid about a strat, he said he didn’t like the shape or aspect of the plastic pickguard. That’s his right.

I’d advise the father to buy his daughter anything she wants, and I’d offer to perform a setup if needed, or even go shopping with them if you have time for it. Shopping for guitars with friends is fun.

bender66 and bgmacaw like this.
  13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My avatar guitar was my first guitar given to me by my brother. I didn't like it much then, but it grew on me and I taught myself with some books as reference. I bought a cheap Strat guitar later when I could afford it.
    Later I rebuilt and modified the first guitar and have added others. You never know if the gifted one will truly be a good idea til it happens.;)

LowCaster likes this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I agree, depending on what the kid wants. The Squier Mustang HH is pretty good and the new Fender MIM offsets are really good.

I'm not that big a fan of the lower end Epiphones for new players although they're great for modding and learning guitar repair basics.

On the original post $300 for a used MIM is very good. The price on them has really jumped up since the Player series was release. You're lucky to find them for under $400 now unless they've been obviously modded or have issues.

bender66 and Zepfan like this.
  15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

How old is the child? I think most kids would prefer a new item for their Christmas gift, unless they're pretty mature about it.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would pick the best CV he can find after checking a bunch out and working out what color she would like most. I think she will probably be more into what color it is to begin with but that doesn't mean she can't have a great player too.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    marc2211, gkterry and nojazzhere like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Chunkocaster just mentioned in passing what I've been thinking as I read the replies......putting on my "girlie" thinking cap, I'd want to know what color the CV Squier is, and if your friend's daughter would really want black. Maybe she's a "Goth" kid, and into black.....but I'd want to make sure.
    BTW.....it's nice of you to help out.

gkterry and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'd pick a light one too. :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd even skip to another brand.

Epiphone Special II or Epiphone 100 ... with a $100 full fret level... will be a better choice than a Strat. Easier for kids to learn on and no distraction with a whammy bar that either provides hours of dive bombs or hours of fiddling with tuning issues or trying to see if there is a tuning issue. The Epiphones above those models get into the same price class as the PRS SE options and I'd cross over brands there.

With CV vs MIM I'd go MIM every time, the CVs are fine guitars but at that price many used guitar buyers want the MIM headstock logo and thus resale is easier. My personal product ladder is Bullet, Affinity, MIM, MIA... I spend zero time contemplating any Squier model above the Affinity, they are wasting all their marketing dollars on any higher priced Squier models.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

When my boy was 9 yrs. old I bought him a Baby Taylor.

It was $299 w/ OHSC.

My reasoning was the guitar was neck and the guitar size were small, and best of all it would stay in tune.

It was a VERY good move, as he stuck with learning guitar, took 5 yrs. of classical guitar lessons, reads music and is a MONSTER multi-instrumentalist who plays guitar, bass, keys, drums and sings lead and harmony.

I think that ANY young person who's learning guitar must learn on a guitar that feels comfortable, stays in tune, and most of all is fun to play.

This is all from 1st hand experience.

Starting on a guitar started him on a path to become a quality musician.

Here's my son singing lead and playing rhythm:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.