1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trying to line up a build, new and have some questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jonyorker, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

That's a lovely guitar. A few things to think about - the one in your picture has both the body and neck bound (looks like plastic). I think that really sets off nice wood. Its also something to think about with your laminated top and the problem of doing the top round over with 1/4 ply.

If you do a separate drop top you will have a good opportunity to chamber it and to think about how you will do the internal wiring. Pick guards and control cover plates are often used to hide wiring.

Not sure what you mean by a 4 switch LP setup - I build LP style guitars and use the usual 3 way switch. When I built the tele in that thread I used a standard 3 way LP style wiring even tho I used single coils. Again, really think thru your pups and wiring before you commit.

You can't go wrong with a Warmoth neck. I used one recently that had the Gotoh side heel adjuster and really liked it.

Be sure to download the free tele plans from this website and have four or five copies made. You'll be cutting them up to make templates and getting glue on them. Also recommended is Melvyn Hiscock's book - one of the three guitars that he builds is a tele clone but he has great chapters on all the other aspects of building electric guitars.

Good luck, have fun. There is another father/son build thread going on right now that is really inspiring. Looking forward to yours.

2. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

Yep, that could have been clearer.

I meant the 4 volume/control knobs and the 3 way switch, like a LP would be.

3. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

Definitely chamber the oak. Make sure that your top is thick enough to support a chambered body well. I have implemented a chambering technique by routing round holes into the body. I feel that it has a better structural integrity.

You can build a neck, just get yourself a fretted fretboard.

WingedWords likes this.
  4. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I built a few guitars in my dad's workshop, learning from him all the time and both of us learning from Mervyn Hiscox and later Stanley Doubtfire's classical guitar book. Now he's gone, and those days (and nights - we were up to the early hours once, perfecting a jig to rout the recess for the rosette on a classical) are happy memories.

I do strongly recommend you get a copy of the Hiscox book if it's available. Get your dad to go through it. Melvyn is a very nice chap. I wrote to him back then about something and had a charming letter back, mainly about how he came to do a chapter on building a left handed guitar. (Late night photo session template foul up basically.) I think he went on to develop his first love of home building aircraft.

Enjoy the making. Whatever the result (and it'll be fine), you'll treasure it and the memories. And the next one, and the one after that. Lots of pics please!

Here's some old pics of a pair my dad and I made in about 1987 from the Hiscox book. Both mahogany bodies with 1/8" rosewood facing. Maple/rosewood necks. Both were good enough to sell, but I do wish I hadn't let them go.

Tele #1 Jan87 a.jpg Tele #2 Jan87.jpg

Ps. Many years later, long after he died and just after my mother died, I did a last job in his workshop and turned some pens and pencils from a piece of flame maple and a piece of ebony that he'd had in his workshop for years and which I remember seeing in my grandfather's workshop too about 50+ years before. He'd always said they'd come in handy sometime. Then I had to clear the workshop ready for the house to be sold. Not fun.

Sorry to have rambled, but you brought back A Lot of memories!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. Freeman Keller

That has a real advantage when you put the switch in the center position and blend the two pickups (there is a gotcha to normal LP wiring that when you turn one pot all the way off it kills the other one, but there is a fix). When I play any of my two humbucker guitars most of the time I'm blending the two pups - technically I could eliminate the switch. Putting the 2V2T wiring in will take a lot more room in your control cavity and if you mostly play on one pup then it might be a waste. One problem with LP wiring is if you switch from bridge to neck during a song you might have different volume levels and you might have to reach down to adjust. A big advantage is that you can set the tone pots for the individual pup.

When I built my personal tele I put an LP Switchcraft switch in with one volume and one tone pot. The switch is neck-blend-bridge just like an LP and since I mostly play LP style guitars I do like it.

Anyway, you don't have to decide now but you should be thinking ahead.

6. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

It it possible to have a 2v2t without a switch, essentially blending all the time, but capable to put one volume to zero without killing everything?

7. Freeman Keller

Yes, in the following diagram you do the "independent control" modification and take the wire that says "to switch" to the hot (tip) of the jack (one from each volume)

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...ing/Golden_Age_Humbucker_Wiring_Diagrams.html

I wire all of my LP style guitars with that mod but I do put the switch in because people are used to it.

8. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

I’ve had good luck with tung oil, but man does it take some time. It has a super smooth finish and I think is perfect for the neck since it won’t grab your hand at all after it cures. The problem is it takes so long to do that. It’s mostly ok to handle after about 24 hours (I live in dry SW Colorado, so your humidity mileage may vary) but after too many personal mistakes of being eager, I’d give it at least a week before you even look at the damn thing. If you use pure tung oil, it’ll be between satin and matte, but the processed ones like watco or Hornsby’s will be more glossy.

9. Freeman Keller

The finishing question is one of the big bugaboos of building a guitar. There are many options, each with its own set of problems and advantages. Can you spray or not? What kind of gloss level do you want? Do you want to highlight or change wood color? Basically what are your expectations?

Entire books have been written about finishing guitars and we have a sub forum devoted just to that subject. I suggest you look at the finishes other people have achieved and read what they have used. If you read any of my threads you'll see that I use almost exclusively nitrocellulose lacquer over a finishing resin called Zpoxy when my wood needs pore filling (which mahogany does). But there are lots of other choices.

10. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

I've sprayed countless gallons of polyurethane making custom cabinets and tables and such, so I definitely am not shy to spray this.

The mahogany top already has spar urethane on it which has given it some color that I would like to not change. I'm not sure if this one would need filing since it has a finish already, but it's an old finish...

I guess I'll have to do a test strip.

11. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

For those who are curious, this is what the mahogany ply looks like.

Attached Files:

Macrogats likes this.
  12. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

Here is an oak topped Thinline I am just finishing. Mahogany back.
    4F153E18-F6F9-4F30-A02F-F105A1783630.jpeg 2763C189-F44E-45C2-A51C-9132544F562E.jpeg

Macrogats likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Your tone will come from the pickups and the control electronics. Pots and caps push the pickup tones around and they are relatively low cost so buy a couple of extras and experiment or measure and sort them low to high and try them. Pots have a 20% tolerance range from the factory and it matters. That's what confuses most people testing this guitar vs that guitar they think the tone is the wood but it's really the pots and caps are all over the map from one to the other guitar. And that's before the pickup winding jockey adds their own variation in the mix.

14. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

That's a real nice boat your Dad built, looks like a catamaran style hull?
    Looks very stable and I'll bet it flies when you get her up on step :)!

I built a few boats when I lived in Alaska. First one was a Carolina Dory style, all wood. Eventually got into aluminum fabrication and welding and commercial fishing boat building for Cook Inlet and Bristol Bay drift gill netting.

I think it's just great that you and your Dad can get together to build a guitar together. It's such a satisfying thing to be able to play a guitar that you've built with your own hands.

Best of Luck to the both of you on your project, and you've found the right place for ideas and answers to questions; lot's of very knowledgeable folks here!

g

15. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

Sorry to bring up an old thread, still lining things up.

What if I went with a pickguard like this?

I imagine I could route/remove quite a bit of the oak under that pickguard to reduce weight?

[​IMG]

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.