1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trying to fix a Chinese neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by megalo82, Sep 29, 2020.

1. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

Some time ago I bought a Chinese 30€ tele neck, at first sight I was amazed, it was beautiful! But after a most accurate look, I saw the Chinese magic:

EE59E430-1997-4CE2-B6FD-4E484138AD45.jpeg

So today i’e tried to fix this and to eliminate the 22th fret

85E28A62-7CAC-4BB5-84AF-2630A353864F.jpeg 676C4AB8-ECFB-48AB-947C-02B0C7B97913.jpeg A51C8A37-CB11-4CEA-BF87-574E4DF01105.jpeg

Now the nut slot is straight and parallel to the fret, is 5mm wide. Do you suggest to fill with 2mm maple and use an original nut or tu buy the bare bone and to model a new nut 5 mm wide?

another question:
    After fixed I have to strip down and re paint, if I mask the frets do you think I can leave there?

thank you

rangercaster likes this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Will a wide nut potentially give tuning issues if the slots are not perfect?

Thinking about it, something like a Gibson or Gretsch nut, where the top face is angled where the strings pass through will save having to fill and paint the neck.

Boreas likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd suggest you make a wider nut. I would think that would look better than a fill of strips and standard size nut. This is assuming the nut edge is in the right spot for the scale length.

old wrench likes this.
  4. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

i have to paint in any case since i've cutted the 22th fret, for filling i have some pieces of maple 2mm thick but i think it would be very ugly!

Yes, the nut edge is in the right spot (i've measured with the squier neck) maybe a wider nut will be the simplest way

5. guitarbuilder

Another option is to mill a wider flat surface into the peghead transition, and re-glue a piece of maple on, and then cut out the nut slot again. You'll end up with more glue lines but if done correctly with similar maple grain direction, it could solve the problem. It is a trade off for a 30 dollar neck.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Most acoustic nuts and Gibson type nuts are wider than Fender nuts,,, should be easy to get a pre cut bone nut that fits, if the width is the same... 42mm would be close for a ch neck...

trancedental likes this.
  7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

They do have to keep costs down ...

8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had the same issue with a $30 rosewood neck. I just widened the slot, carefully using calipers to check the nut placement often, then glued it in the correct spot and filled behind the nut with wood filler. Filed it smooth and used one of those dark stain pencils (like a marker) to darken the patch. Unless you are looking at it up close, it’s unnoticeable.

Funny they can get the rest of the neck perfect - straight, frets properly placed, excellent finish - but then put the nut in the wrong spot, making the neck unusable for someone that can’t move it.

9. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Chinese ....... ah, there's the problem :D

10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hit and miss is the problem. If you can find a good source in China that knows what they are doing and use them exclusively, you can get good necks at a good deal. There are Chinese and other Asian guitars and necks that are very high quality. The differences are specifications, experience and quality assurance. Some Squier necks are Chinese and even the Bullet necks are consistently excellent. The difference is that Fender does the specs and only works with factories that have quality controls in place. Same with Epiphone. There are Epiphones approaching $1000 or possibly more that are completely made in China. But you are not getting those necks for $30z

But, buying a unbranded neck from an unknown source from the lowest price seller is going to be a huge risk. :)

Telecastoff1 and Boreas like this.
  11. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

I agree, I’ve bought it just to learning purpose, once I’ve fixed the nut and shaped the part where the 22th fret was, I will try to change the inlay dots and to finish!

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Did you cut it to be parallel to the run out of the peg head scoop? That side doesn't matter, many Fender necks will look like that too. Looks to me like you may have a mess of it now.

Accurately measure from the 12th fret up to the position you need the fret side of the nut on both E and e string sides. Where does that run out? Hopefully a square edge in the nut slot. The fret side of the nut/nut slot needs to be half the scale length from the peak of the 12th fret.

nut slot edge to ...............................12th fet

_T__T_____|-----^----^-----------------^-----------^----^-----Heel

Peg Tuners

13. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have only purchased one and it was outstanding. $55 as I recall. It is a Tele shape, but with Gibson specs, shorter scale, and very dark ebony fingerboard. I ordered it unfinished but fretted. I junked the plastic nut for a Tusq because I am using a Bigsby.

My guess is that with CNC, they could be made by one-eyed Martians with a hangover and still be acceptable. But even with CNC, the setup must be right. Question is, does this particular manufacturer trash or sell the questionable setup necks when they are dialing in the CNC or if they have a questionable piece of wood?

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. guitarbuilder

Interesting video....

15. Boreas

I personally would go one of two directions:

1. Wide, custom bone nut (possibly intonated if you prefer) cut very carefully to eliminate any pinching.

2. Install a Zero Fret system.

Why do you "have" to strip down and refinish? Just sand and touch up the bare spots with poly or lacquer from a can using a brush. You can always strip it and refinish it in the future if you don't like the finish. The more time and effort you spend on a cheap neck, the more expensive it gets!

16. Boreas

Soitanly!! But it isn't impossible. If he installs a zero fret, it may be simpler.

17. Boreas

Quality is the issue, not nation of manufacture. Crummy necks can be made in any country.

john_cribbin, mkdaws32 and beagle like this.
  18. Boreas

Leo would like this!

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It doesn't look a whole lot different to any other guitar production line, anywhere in the world.

20. Boreas

I wish I had one of those big-a$$ belt sanders!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.