Trying to fill a hole in my soul

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Lily was a beautiful girl.
It’s rough having to let them go but the unconditional love they give is what they do.
The hole you feel will never heal but the good times remembered will smooth out the edges. Lily would want you to carry on and maybe someday find another, not to replace her but to bring that love back into your life
My condolences

I've tried to convey that sentiment to others when they go through this. I've never been, able to express it as well as you have, though. It helped me out more than I could ever describe. I waited 2 weeks to get a puppy after losing my last female Chocolate Lab. But that was also the first time I didn't have a dog in 30+ years. So it didn't feel right. At all. And I made it 2 weeks without one. Lol.

That and my dogs are what have kept me sane since my daughter passed away 7.5 years ago. So I couldn't go without one for long. At all.

Somehow, I lucked out and managed to get the best dog I've ever had this time. She's the best. And she's only 4 so hopefully I've still got some time left. Considering her pedigree, I don't expect to have any hereditary issues later in life. All of that has been bred out by now and her siblings and previous generations have the test results to prove they don't have any of these issues in their genes that they can pass on.

This was also the first time I ever bought a dog and the first time I've had a dog registered with the AKC. All of my other dogs throughout my lifetime were rescues. This time was different, though. It was a dire emergency and I couldn't wait 6 months to find a dog to adopt. I might not have been here after 6 months with no dog, TBH. That's how important my dogs have been to me because they've kept me from literally going crazy after my only child was killed in a car wreck because her mother was being careless and reckless.

Last edited:

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I've tried to convey that sentiment to others when they go through this. I've never been, able to express it as well as you have, though. It helped me out more than I could ever describe. I waited 2 weeks to get a puppy after losing my last female Chocolate Lab. But that was also the first time I didn't have a dog in 30+ years. So it didn't feel right. At all. And I made it 2 weeks without one. Lol.

That and my dogs are what have kept me sane since my daughter passed away 7.5 years ago. So I couldn't go without one for long. At all.

Somehow, I lucked out and managed to get the best dog I've ever had this time. She's the best. And she's only 4 so hopefully I've still got some time left. Considering her pedigree, I don't expect to have any hereditary issues later in life. All of that has been bred out by now and her siblings and previous generations have the test results to prove they don't have any of these issues in their genes that they can pass on.

This was also the first time I ever bought a dog and the first time I've had a dog registered with the AKC. All of my other dogs throughout my lifetime were rescues. This time was different, though. It was a dire emergency and I couldn't wait 6 months to find a dog to adopt. I might not have been here after 6 months with no dog, TBH. That's how important my dogs have been to me because they've kept me from literally going crazy after my only child was killed in a car wreck because her mother was being careless and reckless.
Ive always said a house isn’t a home without a pet, be it a dog or cat. The love they give and share can’t be replicate. The only thing we can do is provide shelter, food, and health care and love them back.
E5B4A1B6-9A5A-4C8B-A0BB-992E7B06D07B.jpeg

SaraLee was the best dog. Her heart was as large as a freight train. She loved everybody and everyone loved her. She was a parvovirus survivor but osteoarthritis finally was her downfall.

We have two other knuckleheads that soften the edge. I truly love and adore them. They are their own special dogs

My condolences about your daughter. I’ve never had kids but can’t imagine the anguish of dealing with the loss of one.

Post pix of you pup do we can all celebrate her with you

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Buy another one. Dogs need good owners so do yourself a favour and give a puppy a good home.
You'll never regret it and it helps ease the pain.
Or better yet, adopt a rescue or a stray. They need us now more than ever.

I am so sorry for your loss; these threads are brutal. Prayers for your family.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
So sorry, man. It's the hardest thing.

When my Stewart (English Bulldog) was in his final weeks, I had this weird urge to buy a houseplant. I knew there'd be this huge gaping hole in my life, and having something else alive, to "care for" in some small way, would help. That was 9.5 years ago. It still hurts, but the memories are more happy than sad, now. The plant is still alive, healthy and huge. Every time I water it, I take a moment....

One day at a time.

Last edited:

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Sorry to hear this, it's one of the great unimaginable loses to many non dog owners, but she will always be in your head and your heart

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Lilynany1.jpg 000_0054 (Medium).JPG keepwatch10yrs.jpg
Wasn''t going to post any more of these but hey......she would tolerate the indoors (wherever I was or where we would visit) but the snow and cold was her element. She was also gentle and would wait with me for as long as it took for the folks at a local assisted living to pet her and re-live the memories they had of their dogs. I took her there weekly for a few years when my Grandmother was there and I think she got as much love as she gave.

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
Mick M, I am so sorry for your loss. Are pets are with out a doubt part of the family and it it never easy when that time come's to say goodbye.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
My Great Dane, Angus, lasted 12 years, a long time for a big dog. He's been gone about 12 years now and it still makes me cry. You're a good boy, Angus.

View attachment 938983
Well, had a good cry over the old hole in my soul, but it looks like I'll be getting another soon. My best girl of the last 10 years and change seems to be getting ready to move on, and I'm heartbroken about, can't seem to find a vet in time. Peace and rest Zeta, please stick around a while longer if you can...

Zeta.jpg

(in better days)

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Well, had a good cry over the old hole in my soul, but it looks like I'll be getting another soon. My best girl of the last 10 years and change seems to be getting ready to move on, and I'm heartbroken about, can't seem to find a vet in time. Peace and rest Zeta, please stick around a while longer if you can...

View attachment 940204

(in better days)
...and she's gone. Rest Easy, Zeta, Rest Easy. :(

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Feel for you guys, the wife brought home this little fur ball 15 years ago.
IMG_0878.JPG
She was like one of our kids and was especially close to the wife.
20190620_235843711_iOS.jpg
She developed tumors along her spine making it progressively more difficult and painful to walk, we recently had to....can't even say it :cry:
We were all devastated, the wife even more so as she is retired, and they were constant companions.

One of my wife's friends, a teacher from the school the wife worked at had this cute little 3 year old Pomeranian Shi Tzu mix that they just couldn't take care of.
20220102_211643959_iOS.jpg
We brought her home about a week ago. Milliy is just soo darn cute, you can't help but love her.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
This is tough stuff for us to handle, isn't it? The passing of each pet always stays with us. On the plus side, each pet shows you how to treat their successor. This is why Georgie, our cat, is living the good life. Above all, I have learned how they like to play. This morning, I have tied a string to my ankle. It makes walking around the house a lot of fun.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
This is tough stuff for us to handle, isn't it? The passing of each pet always stays with us. On the plus side, each pet shows you how to treat their successor. This is why Georgie, our cat, is living the good life. Above all, I have learned how they like to play. This morning, I have tied a string to my ankle. It makes walking around the house a lot of fun.
Thanks for the smile. :)

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Sorry bholder. I had two black cats (brothers) that were like nite and day and both got leukemia within a year of each other. If I knew a secret for killing the sadness I would share it with the world.
Whenever I have a pair of cats (related or not), I have found that the survivor takes on some of the characteristics of the one who passed.

A Story

My wife and I had a cat who we totally adored. We tend to treat our cats lavishly. When our beloved passed away several years ago, we were really grief stricken. After a couple of weeks of a cold, empty feeling in our hearts, we thought we'd go to the shelter just to look around. Then we found Georgie, as we later called him, and had some private play time. Deeply smitten, we were a little down at the news that we were second in line. On the drive home, we began planning a letter to the shelts outlining all of the benefits of living with us. At home, we quickly wrote it up and returned to the shelter. There, we saw our names on the donor board.

I don't remember the details, but we won Georgie. As we were boxing him up, the small family who were first on the list showed up. They were totally generous about it, and were there to pick up a different cat. Some of the items in the letter included:

19 windows
hard wood floors downstairs, wall-to-wall carpeting upstairs, and a screened in porch.
our talent and desire to play with our cats
we never punish them, instead, we focus on changing things in the house to reduce bad behavior
we give our cats top-notch medical care. This includes putting an animal to sleep when they are suffering.

All of this reduced our sadness. As we see Georgie tearing around the house, we are reminded of his predecessors, which fills us with memories of happiness.

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m sorry about your Lily, Mick M. This big fella is one of the things that keeps me going in a life made up mostly of disappointments. If I didn’t have him, my Wife, or family, I don’t know what the point would be. Dogs are the sweet spirits that remind us how we ought to be.
02BC67DE-639E-4A00-8E88-996A6B54B7B6.jpeg