Trying to fill a hole in my soul

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
So sorry for your loss.

I think you did the right thing. He was probably leaving because he knew the burden it would be on you. Dogs can be like that. They are more concerned for you than themselves even in death. I'll bet he was glad you didn't go with him.

Dogs are the very best "people" there are. The relationship between them and people are really special. And just like a really special person - it will take time to get over it. Cry, weep, curl up in a corner in the fetal position, eat chocolate and watch sad movies or whatever. It's ok man.

But at some point (hopefully less than 3-6 months), you will realize that there is now room in your heart to save a dog from a terrible wasteful end. Your old dog will approve.

Put my best buddy of 8 years down recently (16 years with my significant other). I grew up in the country and we raised field dogs for hunting and have seen, and had to put down hunting dogs in the field before due to injury, but this guy was a family member (RIP Guss). One of the hardest, but right things to do.

CblRsWK.jpg

You are not alone - we have been through this. Happy ending: I still miss Guss and always will, but missing is being replaced by fond memories. New memories and loss being replaced by Brooke. This girl has so much love in her she would have exploded if she didn't have people to give it to:

g1PRRIE.jpg

And music always helps. Get a new (or rescue) Tele...

YaEhXYM.jpg

Last edited:

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
It can be tough. We lost both our dogs within a year back 6-7 years ago. One a mixed breed and less than a year later our boxer had to be be put down.

The boxer was on a Saturday afternoon. So then we had no dog. Sunday morning I was looking at rescue dogs online and told my wife that we could sit around and boo-hoo or find another dog. Not to replace him, but to fill the void. One day without a dog was too much for me. I found a great looking dog at a local rescue place, a mixed breed half American Foxhound/half Red Tick hound. Great dog. Monday we met with the lady that was fostering him. Love at first sight! Took him home that afternoon.

Less than a year later I was looking at dogs from the same rescue place and found a full blooded German Shepard, we went and saw him, let him meet our other dog and brought him home.

Both are great dogs and really good with people and other dogs. The Shepard is the best dog I have ever had around other dogs, makes friends with dogs that the owners say normally don’t do well with other dogs.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I probably read 50 of these threads over the last 15 years and couldn't understand how anybody could post on such a personal matter but I couldn't bury the pain as much as I tried. Her loyalty was next to none and if I was ever out of her sight it was only after she couldn't get up into the truck. If I was behind a closed door she laid against it 'til I opened it.
I want to thank all of you from the depth of my heart for your thoughts and kindness and will do my best to repay all of it if the situation arises.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
My condolences. Losing a beloved family member is hard. It looks like you gave your adopted kid a great life, which is a beautiful thing.

Deathray

Friend of Leo's
Oh, God bless her soul, she knew what she had to do. I know how painful this is for you. It will get easier, but not for a long time. It’s great that you had a friend who could take her for you. Thanks for sharing with us, and keep sharing if it helps at all. Dogs are such noble creatures. So very hard to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you. Peace.

RIP Lily

midnight340

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Sorry for your loss of a loving friend. I still miss my Gracie, such a sweet beautiful Maltese. We have a Yorkie and a Pomeranian, the Yorkie, Evie, is 13, Mia, our Pom has advanced kidney disease, so we face further loss, but they have shared so much love with us. All any of us can do is give them the best life we can!
I have a photo and sort of alter for Gracie so I never forget. Somehow it helps.
Take care, man!!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sorry buddy, very sad stuff.
I'm a pet undertaker in our little pet cemetery here.
Buried so many old friends but I can still feel the sandy soil and the weight of each furry body.
90lbs is big though, big sweet furry girl she looks like!
Recently saw a video of a pet we lost on our wedding anniversary a few years ago.
Kind of ruined that day for us after that.
My wife called saying Piper was in bad shape, came home and she passed with her head in my hands.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Sorry. I feel your pain. Been there. Losing someone you love is hard. No doubt. Fwiw, there's lots of little ones who need new homes. Might make you feel better. Good time to write a song too.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For a dog lover, there is no pain like that of losing a dog buddy. Just isn’t. And no one can say how long it takes for things to “get better.” In the meantime, I’m the neighborhood pest who insists on talking to your dog for a minute.