Trying out the vintage bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bearclaw, Aug 27, 2019.

1. bearclaw

bearclaw TDPRI Member

I decided to swap out my bridge for the vintage 3 barrel variety. Pretty much just for the looks. I figure if I don’t like it I can always swap it back. This is my first Tele. I’ve been really loving it since I got it. Here are the before and after pics.

D4B834DA-7A75-47BF-B9C0-6665147D9673.jpeg 3C386ABE-BC59-4DC6-B3D9-5F9184DDD800.jpeg 60E15A43-150D-4E51-BCDD-3D333A691F43.jpeg

2. digmeout

digmeout TDPRI Member

I like vintage bridges and brass saddles, and not just for the visual appeal, I like the sound of 3 brass saddles on a traditional bridge. I think it depends on the guitar though as to what sounds better, brass or steel. Nice looking guitar.

Macrogats likes this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

It's a matter of taste on steel on the first barrel, but do you like the sound of that brass so far?
    Every time I see this guitar it reminds me I "need" a tele that matches my duosonic. Temptation!

Also, the before picture indicates you were running the neck pickup with the black muff. I applaud you. :)

bearclaw likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

So...what do you think?

5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

That's a pretty "vintage" colour, so I like the vintage bridge.

I was gonna swap mine as well, until I played an American in the store with it. The intonation was so bad on it I had second thoughts. Still might do it eventually.

6. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

That neck, bridge and switch tip are lookin old skoole - nice!
    might as well get a pickguard to match

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

And now you can fit an ashtray and finish your Tele as Leo intended.

20190828_061338.jpg

YMMV!

Fretting out and Telecentric like this.
  8. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I definitely like the look of the vintage bridges, but can you guys hear/feel a difference? I'll be honest and say I cant.

WingedWords likes this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Intonation was likely set up badly. On a vintage bridge (if need be with compensated saddles, but it’s not always necessary) you can intonate well enough that you can play 5-note jazz chords at the XV fret…

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No, nor me. Not really, but I'm not going to argue if people say they can. I've just started a build which will use a Callaham bridge with a heavier gauge steel plate so that will be interesting to try to hear a difference. Too many other variables involved probably and maybe one day I'll try swapping between a Fender and the Callaham on the same guitar. I've heard too the idea that the bridge cover plate ashtray acts as a noise reducing shield in the same way as the shiny covers on a humbucker. Take it or leave it. But Leo didn't spend money on extras willingly.

I do prefer the look of the vintage bridge with cover it's true. But for me it's actually more about the feel. I've been playing Teles with vintage bridges since 1982 or so and there's a little spot against the edge of the bridge where my little finger rests that I really miss with the modern bridge. I'm actually wondering how I'll get on with the cutaway on the Callaham.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Looks smart! Some compensated saddles would give you the best of both worlds.

12. bearclaw

bearclaw TDPRI Member

Overall I like the swap. I doubt I'll change it back. It seemed to intonate fairly well. Of course it can't be precise without individual saddles, but it is a guitar. It will never play perfectly up the neck. Or is it, I will never play perfectly up the neck? :)

When I finally got it all strung up and ready, the first time I strummed it I was like WOW it sounds so much brighter and punchier. Even unplugged! But then I reminded myself I changed the strings. Ultimately, I don't know if makes a big difference to the sound. I'm sure it makes a difference, but I don't know if I can easily discern it. All I know is it sounded great before and it still sounds great. Now I like the look even more and I like having the bridge to rest a finger on. I'll probably go for some compensated saddles some day. But the intonation isn't really that bad. If my playing gets good enough that it's a problem, then I'll address it.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks great!

I think a lot of the change in sound some people get, is what happens to our right hand. There could be a few people who never touch or even brush against either style of bridge, but I am convinced the way my hand addresses the bridge is enough by itself to cause some change - enough that there's no real scientific way of measuring the shape and the composition of the materials in isolation.

14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Im pretty sure I can hear a tonal different. And considering that the bridge is an integral part of the signal chain, I bet the science supports this.

15. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Good swap dude. I believe there is a difference in brass saddles versus steel. Put some barrel style brass on one of my projects - love em! Have since started using Wilkinson compensated saddles - love em even more! I even put some on a Telecoustic type project, and I reckon the brass saddles make a hell of a difference when paired with acoustic strings. With stainless saddles the strings sounded dull and lifeless, but it like the brass reacts better with the bronze on acoustic strings. Might just be me, but that’s my opinion.

16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As Leo intended. That bridge and pickup are the heart of a tele. Change anything else- fretboard wood, neck pickups, finish, body wood, pick guards- as long as that bridge and pickup are there, I'm happy.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the vintage ones sound better but the 6 flat saddles like on an older Am Std are my favorite for hand feel/intonation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.