1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Trying my hand at a partscaster...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dlew919, Apr 22, 2021.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I have a body, pickups, everything but a neck.

I'm going to, at least in the short term, get a cheap neck from eBay.

I'm hoping they're already varnished. Any tips to varnish, or poly?

And, any tips in general? I had a good look round here - there's some wonderful ideas and tips.

It's a vague tribute to 'Blackie' - it's a black strat, so...

I may buy a new trem bridge too. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I suppose the main thing to keep in mind at this point is what your expectations are. If you are just looking to achieve a "playable" instrument, you should be able to get by with a "cheap" neck. But the playability and enjoyment of the instrument depends upon the quality of the neck and its components. There are a few sources of cheap necks that are reasonable quality, but many cheap necks are just junk, requiring so much time and effort to get them to play well that one would have been further ahead by spending more up front.

Without knowing your budget and intentions, it is tough to offer advice.

scook and dlew919 like this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Fair point. I'm doing this cheaply - it's partly a 'learning process': if I botch it, I can fix it, and not worry about replacing premium parts. If it works ok, I'll probably try my hand at a 'better one' or replace the neck on this one, etc...

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

You can find "used" Squier necks online, but they are rarely cheap. Usually, they are taken off new guitars that are split up because the parts value is worth more than the price point of the guitar. I tend to avoid those sellers. I have one experience with buying a "custom" unfinished neck from Song-maker on eBay, and I found it to be a quality neck requiring finishing, a very light fret level, fret-end smoothing, and nut adjustment.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/song-maker

dlew919 likes this.
  5. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Boreas

Two routes you can take for a "cheap" neck. You can buy a used Squier neck, but they rarely are cheap in the long run. Usually, they are simply new guitars that are split and sold because the parts are worth more than the price point of the new guitar. I avoid those sellers because the neck has likely never been set up to play properly. They will usually need a fret level/crown/polish and a nut adjustment. If you are going to have to do that, you may as well consider a "custom" neck, finished or unfinished, from an overseas source.

I have only one experience with this and it was worth it. I purchased an unfinished neck from Song-maker on eBay for $60. It was a quality neck that only needed a finish, light fret dress, and nut adjustment.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/song-maker

It basically boils down to your skills, tools, and amount of time you want to invest.

dlew919 likes this.
  7. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Holic

I bought an Allparts neck for my first build and couldn't be happier with it. Little over $100.

dlew919, Telekarster and Boreas like this.
  8. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I once heard that a guitar is as good as it's neck. Good luck, partscasters are fun!

dlew919 and Boreas like this.
  9. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

If the body is full thickness, a MIM bridge assembly is less than $25 on Amazon. Well worth it over the thin trem blocks that most of the cheap guitars come with. You also get "Fender" marked saddles, which is nice.

You can shield the cavities with aluminum foil and spray adhesive. Cheap and effective.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Best advice I could give is - Take your time, go slow, measure 3 times and cut once... that sort of thing. If you don't have a set, get a set of nut files. They're expensive but worth every penny IMO. My first build took me 3-4 months and about 100 hrs of work, but the end result was nothing short of awesome. Today she's my #1 guitar and I gig with her every week. The key is I took my time and double/triple checked my work by constantly reviewing advice from the experts out here on TDPRI. Good luck and keep us posted! Oh yeah... take pics and share em, please ;) We love pics around here

8barlouie and dlew919 like this.
  11. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

To me, copper is better; you can solder it to wiring (ground) and you can get it in various stick-on varieties. Very easy to work with, very forgiving.

dlew919 and 8barlouie like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I started modifying guitars before I started to build from scratch. However, take you time and study what you are doing. Don't try to rush it. There are tons of instructional help on the web if you are not sure or just need reassurance. Building a partscaster is fun and it is empowering at the same time.

dlew919 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.