Trying a new Nitro brand

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A local commercial finish sales rep talked me into trying their nitro by Finish Works. They are a company here in Indian & claim they make all their own. They are currently doing a cold test on their nitro for Heritage Guitar Co in Michigan who uses their stuff. I ordered a gallon to see how it does for $52 after shipping. So far it goes on a lot like the Sherwin LOVOC that I normally use and seems to sand out nicely as well. Anyone else ever used their nitro?

1494720105990.jpg

1494720126576.jpg

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
Excuse me if i am wrong but i would think nitro is nitro it would be the same ingredients only difference would be the users mixing ratio with thinner
great if you can get the stuff cheaper it certainly is not cheap over here

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Excuse me if i am wrong but i would think nitro is nitro it would be the same ingredients only difference would be the users mixing ratio with thinner
The nitro part is the same but not all uses same thinner quaility and mixture that cures out at the same rate or hardness.

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire

Not all Nitro is created equal. The various chem used to make Nitro the % could vary a bit between makers not to mention whatever other chem they feel needs to be in their version.

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
Sherwin Williams in our entire city will only order their nitro if you order their minimum shipment of 4 gallons at $42/gallon. If I want a single gallon I have to pay order out of state for $72 including shipping.

I just went through this after taking a hiatus from building for a couple of years. I previously got my lacquer from the Sherwin Williams commercial specialty finishes store in Seattle. This time I tried to get my local store to bring it in. They would only do so if I ordered 4 gallons.

I had to make a few calls to find the specialty finishes shop again. The regular commercial stores don't stock Nitro either. Once I got them on the phone, I had LOVOC vinyl sealer, and Thinner/retarder on the fed/ex truck and at my door the next day. The cost on the LOVOC was $42/gal. I could have driven over to Seattle and picked it up, but didn't want to. I could have bought their ProMar HiBild lacquer as well but they didn't have it in stock when I called.

So, try calling one of the commercial stores and ask them to point you to a Sherwin Williams specialty finishes store that stocks Nitro Lacquer. There may be one local to you. Also, I found it interesting that my local store could access inventory for the regular commercial stores but could not access inventory for the specialty finishes shop.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I just went through this after taking a hiatus from building for a couple of years. I previously got my lacquer from the Sherwin Williams commercial specialty finishes store in Seattle. This time I tried to get my local store to bring it in. They would only do so if I ordered 4 gallons.

I had to make a few calls to find the specialty finishes shop again. The regular commercial stores don't stock Nitro either. Once I got them on the phone, I had LOVOC vinyl sealer, and Thinner/retarder on the fed/ex truck and at my door the next day. The cost on the LOVOC was $42/gal. I could have driven over to Seattle and picked it up, but didn't want to. I could have bought their ProMar HiBild lacquer as well but they didn't have it in stock when I called.

So, try calling one of the commercial stores and ask them to point you to a Sherwin Williams specialty finishes store that stocks Nitro Lacquer. There may be one local to you. Also, I found it interesting that my local store could access inventory for the regular commercial stores but could not access inventory for the specialty finishes shop.

I have gone that route previously a well until getting to the commercial store, and actually driving t where other store in our city. Our commercial one has the same 4 gallon minimum purchase as well. They actually don't even want to bother with that low a quantity. It is a good residential store in our area that is happy to order 4 gallons for buyers. It all depends on the store manager. So far I can't say there is any difference between SW and Finish Works on how well the go on. I have 1 hanging to dry for the next month but it appears to be curing out well. Their products are dominately used by commercial cabinet shops. If I order 4 gallons of it the price drops to $27/ and a local sales rep may be willing to deliver free.

I too use the SW thinner as it is availableb in our home store and good quality. All about trying new to see what works that is easily available

Last edited:

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
I have gone that route previously a well until getting to the commercial store, and actually driving t where other store in our city. Our commercial one has the same 4 gallon minimum purchase as well. They actually don't even want to bother with that low a quantity. It is a good residential store in our area that is happy to order 4 gallons for buyers. It all depends on the store manager. So far I can't say there is any difference between SW and Finish Works on how well the go on. I have 1 hanging to dry for the next month but it appears to be curing out well. Their products are dominately used by commercial cabinet shops. If I order 4 gallons of it the price drops to $27/ and a local sales rep may be willing to deliver free.

I too use the SW thinner as it is availableb in our home store and good quality. All about trying new to see what works that is easily available

No harm in trying new stuff. I was just kind of assuming that it was a pre cat lacquer if they're using in cabinet shops.

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
The sell their pre cat to cabinet shops but their nitro line targets instrument builders like Heritage Guitars which is in the original Gibson building.

Cool. It's nice to have another option too. It is getting harder and harder to track Nitro down. Of course there is no reason not use the more modern finishes, but it's hard to go through the learning curve of how to achieve a pro finish with a new type of finish.

Rano Bass

Tele-Holic
Yeah lacquer is lacquer but Deft is not nearly as good as Sherwin Williams if you know what I mean....... I have never seen that brand (Finishworks) here is San Diego.
I just found a place where I can get Mohawk Piano Lacquer for $40 a gallon, will try it in my next project.