Trussrod plug on 1959 Telecaster / Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

Old Plank and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

The pre-production/prototype custom telecaster has a plug and skunk stripe so it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others

I have pictures of it somewhere, the actual one with the plug and stripe from the catalog came up for sale a couple years ago I wish I would have saved more photos

42A29DED-736A-451E-AB75-036AADA34399.jpeg

Shame I didn’t have a pic of the headstock or back... but this one indeed has those features
    And a 5 HOLE! Multi-ply pickguard!

Talk about hens teeth!

Other than that I don’t know why they didn’t make em like those
    Maybe they figured if they were gonna put rosewood on they could just have a rout under the board,it looks cleaner

And they don’t have to keep buying walnut, Leo was frugal

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  3. Twang Deluxe

Thank you for your answer! I found a headstock Screenshot_20210729-140201_Samsung Internet.jpg picture of the guitar that you have mentioned

Telekarster, Old Plank and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Twang Deluxe

I'm wondering about how many of these early prototypes still exist

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

@2:50 PK's solo is on a slab board '59... I've had this one in my hands, the only 50's tele I've ever seen and noodled around on unplugged...:D

6. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Its my understanding that when the decision was made to go to the rosewood capped neck on the '59 Telecaster, there was still a quantity of one piece maple necks in inventory. These maple necks were planed to accept the new rosewood cap and thus explains the headstock plug and skunk stripe on them. Once the one piece maple necks were used up, then the headstock plug and skunk stripe were no longer a part of the construction.

Additionally, the first of the '59 Custom Telecasters used the then current Fender "TELECASTER" silver spaghetti logo. Shortly thereafter, a new Custom Telecaster decal was adopted that had a slightly smaller gold spaghetti logo script.

The new '59 Custom Telecaster was initially fitted with a 5-hole 3-ply pickguard but quickly transitioned to an 8-hole mount, ostensibly to counteract occasional warpage.

7. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A few pics from my '59 for reference, showing the plug-less headstock, and the truss-rod adjustment screw instead at the body end of the neck .... the higher 30,000's plate number puts its production at later in the year, so as BobbyMac notes, they would have been past using the remaining one-piece maple necks with headstock plugs and skunk stripes. From the Duchossoir Tele book, "the advent of a rosewood fretboard brought about a change in truss-rod installation. With a 2-piece neck, it is easier to drill the rod channel in the neck prior to glueing the fretboard and thus rosewood-capped necks do not have a back stripe or a plug above the nut." Maple-capped necks in the 60's were also done in this way.

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

Twang Deluxe and Telekarster like this.
  8. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Interesting little detail I was not aware of, thanks to the OP and repliers on it! Learn something new every day I guess ;) Not to get off the topic but, was this also true of Strats?

Twang Deluxe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.