Trussrod change

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jarpat, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

I bought a pile of junk and there was one strat neck with fender logo and so on. It has a truss rod "coming out " on the body side, not on the headstock. I don't know for sure, if it is really a Fender. The decal is black and trussrod adjustment down there, so if it is Fender, what year could it approximately be? I dont have better photos now, but I can add them later.

The trussrod has been ruined as well as some of the neck heel. Has anyone changed trussrods? Is it possible? Any good advices before I start..?
    upload_2019-8-14_7-40-44.png

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Found this one:

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Fender used a heel adjust truss rod for years.
    I’m not an expert on which years and models and so forth, but it’s not at all uncommon.
    You should post pics of that neck, many pics in focus, there are people around here that can tell you every little detail about it. You may have a real keeper.
    Good luck,

DonM and awasson like this.
  4. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

The poor neck is in a bad shape.. let's put it this way - is there any known "strat copies" with truss rod heel adjustment?

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Yes. Lots of them.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

If it is a genuine Fender it will have a single action truss rod there will be a small bar about 15mm at the headstock end at the center of the 1st fret
    this small bar is either welded or peened to the rod the chances of that ever breaking is pretty remote but it has happened
    if the truss rod in that neck is just spinning then yeah the bar has come lose of the rod
    fixing such a truss rod will require removing the fingerboard or at least a section of the 1st fret
    although that neck might just be a copy with a modern dual action rod which has no anchor point and just might pull out
    either way unless that is a genuine vintage neck personally if the rod is toasted i would just throw the neck in the bin too much hard work

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

A truss rod is installed in most cases so it won't come out. The stewart macdonald hot rod is probably the exception to that rule, as it theoretically could be removed from the end if it is installed as designed. To replace a truss rod would involve removing the fretboard and /or the skunk stripe, or surgery to remove the anchor that is holding it in. A vintage Fender style truss rod is at the end of a steel rod and has barbs in it. More modern ones use an anchor and rod design. If the truss rod threads are stripped, stewmac sells a tool to rethread it deeper in the neck. It's expensive and to me, it's probably not worth buying unless you are a repair person.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...MI0JiJ7bCC5AIVyMDACh3U9ApAEAAYASAAEgLa6PD_BwE

https://drkevguitar.com/2014/08/19/truth-about-truss-rods-1/

http://www.projectguitar.com/tutori...-to-make-a-vintage-compression-truss-rod-r50/

8. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

I like to think that I am a repair Person. There’s Not much value on the neck and that’s why it would be a great individual to try this trus tod change. That repair kit is really a bit too expensive. If I can get the fretboard out, I sure can get it back too. Fender or Not, I believe i’m gonna try this.

9. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

The "color" and shape on this is very fenderish , I think. It doesn't really matter wether it's what ever. I could not google that kind of fender decal - black and a small straight stratocaster-text. So my guess is that it is a fake. There's 4 small holes on the headstock that has been plugged? Don't know what they are..?

As I said, the rod and the heel has been ruined and this is frankly garbige. But, when there really isn't much to loose, I will use this as an opportunity to try to learn about something. I'll try to remove the fretboard and truss rod. Then I will try to shape the heel to what it has been and maybe someday this will be sitting on a guitar again..
    thumbnail_IMG_6425.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6424.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6426.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6427.jpg

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

ouch, that looks real abused.
    the holes in the headstock could be scars of earlier stringtrees
    the loose ones and a metal bar across along the nut.
    if i would try this i would remove the fretboard and try a dual action instead (if this would be possible)
    its ruined now so it can not get much worse

11. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Exactly!

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Someone might correct me but it kinda looks Japanese to me especially how the heel is sanded where the serial number/Made in Japan would be
    Logo looks off for an American made
    Maybe it’s a Japanese neck from the Mid to late 80s that would explain the holes in the headstock which would be for a system 1 trem locking nut
    The decal is the only thing to me that is troubling

13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'd guess it's an old MIJ Squier Std neck, looking at the back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.