Truss Rod at the Heel

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by golfnut, Oct 6, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm just wondering why so many hate the truss rod adjustment at the heel on a Telecaster? I've got a tool that a buddy gave me that adjusts at the heel with out taking the neck off. It works great. I do have to take the pick guard off but that only takes me a couple minutes. I'm sure most have seen this tool and its very cheap.
    So do players just hate taking the pickguard off?

Attached Files:

joey pinter and bender66 like this.
  2. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

I have that tool too, it’s great. I’m not sure everyone is aware of it.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I learn so much from this forum. I would find it hard to believe that this tool would not be something celebrated by all vintage owners and vintage reissue owners. But then again I've been playing for 38 years and primarily vintage reissue type teles for almost 20 years and I never heard of it till a buddy of mine gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago. And he is far less knowledgeable with gear than me.

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I love the look of the plug or clean headstock & never thought it was an issue. People just wanna hate on minor inconveniences.

Telebeestar, dan40 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

In part, it has to do with the fact that Fender themsleves realised that it was a stupid thing to do and therefore in later designs - stopped doing it.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the adjustment at the heel, I like the vintage look and removing the neck is not an issue since I know how to work a screwdriver.
    It's only a mild inconvenience when first installing and setting up a new neck.

Adjustment on the headstock is more convenient if adjustment is ever needed but it's a step closer to owning a pointy guitar imo and teles should not need to be adjusted very often if at all.:)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  7. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I've never had to adjust the truss rod on any of my vintage style Fenders. They're very stable. I also don't like to see a hole on the headstock.

Telebeestar, beagle, golfnut and 2 others like this.
  8. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

I also dislike holes in the headstock..atleast on Fenders. And I dont like that the truss rod nut is hidden.

Heel truss rods -*thumbs up emoji*

Telebeestar, GuitarKid and golfnut like this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes I also prefer to have the truss rod at the heel. The only time I ever adjust the truss rod is if it comes back from a set up that I'm not satisfied with or I'm playing around with different setups. Seasonal changes haven't really affected it. But it does hang on the wall flanked by my 2 Martin Authentics where I monitor and control the humidity.

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I find headstock-adjust necks to be more prone to neck dive. Heel-adjust necks seem to balance better. I also hate truss rod adjustment screws with hex heads. I find the Phillips screw much harder to strip out, especially when it isn't buried in a tiny hole. Added benefit, I don't have to keep track of a special took for truss-rod adjustment.

I don't mind removing the neck to adjust mine. Doesn't take too long and I've gotten where I can do it and still keep most of the strings on (a capo helps).

Telebeestar and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Is the tool a paint can opener? Works great!

Adjusting the truss rod should a rare anyway. Better yet, get a snake head Esquire and fahget abatit!

civanodude likes this.
  12. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Got a pic of the tool?

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  13. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

gwjensen and Bluetelecaster like this.
  14. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

I don't often have to adjust a truss rod, but when I do I prefer the Gotoh Side Adjuster Thingy.

Ingenious invention. No idea why all mfrs haven't adopted it.

NewKid likes this.
  15. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I prefer it in the heel, personally. From my limited experience I feel like the neck is more responsive-feeling when there is less mass in it, rather than more.

Feel free to contradict this, anyone - it's probably just woo-woo on my part. Maybe the differences in feel are from other causes.

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Heel adjust is a better look for sure. I've got three of them. I've not needed to adjust any of them this year.

That right angle adjuster tool is nifty, but only if you have that bite taken out of the body between the neck pocket and the neck pickup cavity. Mine are all intact, no bites taken.

And it's no big deal anyway. Slack the strings, capo to keep things organized, back off the neck screws to get at the adjuster. I usually spend more time cleaning under the strings than I do on the adjustment. LOL

El Tele Lobo and Telebeestar like this.
  17. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

For guitars with an easily removable pickguard, or a notch in the guard (and maybe the body too), it's not too difficult to adjust with the Stewmac tool. Without those, you have to at least loosen the neck to get access, maybe take the strings off to get the pickguard off, or maybe just take the neck off ... in short, a PITA.

Tippy and Alamo like this.
  18. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Heel truss adjuster. Easy to do. No futzing trying to drill the hole a the headstock, no special tool, no weakened headstock.
    1963 Teisco Tulip MIJ.
    [​IMG]

Or +1 the wheel style.

[​IMG]

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I only need to tweek the trussrod every 5-10 years so I don't find a heel-adjust to be much of a problem at string changes.

8trackmind and Telebeestar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.