TruOil neck or Vintage Tint Clear Coat neck? Show me yours!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by PixelMover, Jul 8, 2009.

1. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

I'm up in the air whether to do my USACG q-sawn maple neck in TruOil or a Reranch vintage tint clear coat. Show me your necks! What are the application pros and cons of TruOil and Vintage Tinting?

Sadly I don't have any neck wood test blocks so this is going to be quite a decision. Help me out guys!

Much appreciated - exciting times!

2. Teleblaster_1

Teleblaster_1 Former Member

Here's a USA Custom in Tru-Oil:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is Tru-Oil back, clear nitro on the front of the head:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

Did you mask off the frets and the Paua when you did that neck above?

4. Teleblaster_1

Teleblaster_1 Former Member

Pau ferro fretboard was masked off, no finish.
    Paua shell marker, maple board was finished completely with Tru-Oil. It came right off the frets with steel wool with minimal effort.

5. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

Very well then! Thank you.

6. tommytutone

tommytutone TDPRI Member

Is the tru-oil different from Formby's tung oil or Watco danish oil?

7. steve s

steve s Tele-Meister

I read that yes it is. It is similar but has different resins or additives of some kind. It all the rave around here. There are som good reads on the Tru-oil finishing. I don't have the links of this computer.....but search it out for some good info.

8. tommytutone

tommytutone TDPRI Member

I'm in the middle of a finishing job.........I'm allowing my 3 coats of tung oil finish to dry. My plan is to shoot lacquer over it...........now I'm curious if I should consider putting tru-oil on it before the lacquer (based on the picture above i've pretty much decided to do the neck in tru-oil)

9. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory Tele-Meister

Tru oil really makes the grain figure pop if the neck has any, so it gets my vote. Plus I really like the feel of it.

Squier neck dyed with transtint honey amber, and finished in tru oil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sx necks finished in tru oil no dye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

Low end, awesome fotos thank you!

11. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

The necks on the left and right in this picture where both done with Tru-Oil and varying amounts of Stew Mac Vintage Amber...............

[​IMG]

This neck is Tru-Oil and VA as well........................

[​IMG]

12. grabby

grabby Tele-Meister

HomeGrown... those VA necks are StewMac ColorTone Tinted Aerosol Guitar Lacquer with Tru-Oil on top, right? That's what I think I'm going to do and I want to make sure I buy the right product. You didn't sandwich the VA between coats of clear? i.e., tint is right on the naked wood? Then Tru-oil for the top coat? Or is it wood>clear>VA>Tru-Oil?

Thanks

13. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory Tele-Meister

Grabby, if I remember correctly Homegrown's necks are stewmac VA dye. The same method I used. Hell I learned it from him and the other regulars on the reranch forum. Stewmac VA dye is the same as Transtint Honey Amber dye. As I understand it they are made by the same company. I do know that it is not recomended to apply tru oil over lacquer. You can put lacquer on top of tru oil though. So the steps are to whisker and dye the neck to color first, then apply tru oil. Then if you want to apply clear do it last. I usually apply clear to the headstock only. If you are using tinted clear for color then most guys like to sandwich it between regular clear. Keep in mind that lacquer doesn't enhance the grain like tru oil does.

14. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

These Warmoth necks are both Tru-Oil over Stew Mac Vintage Amber dye. The VA is the concentrated Color Tone dye (mixed with water) not the spray lacquer. The headstock face shot shows clear lacquer over the VA stain and Tru-Oil. Tru-Oil is actually a varnish that builds and creates a 'hard finish'. I think the name misleads people into thinking that it is an oil that will just absorb into the wood. It was developed as a gunstock finish, is very durable and feels great. I got all of my info (and a lot of support) on the ReRanch forum.

The neck that isn't flamey is quarter sawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  15. steve s

steve s Tele-Meister

WOW! Gentlemen.....al very nice.......I'm GAS'N!!!!

16. grabby

grabby Tele-Meister

It's this stuff? #5030? OK. I think I'll try that (VA dye with Tru-oil on top). Seems like the only big drawback is that if I screw up, I can't easily remove the tint and do it over. So I won't screw up. :)

I'll check out the ReRanch forum to learn how to do it. Thanks for the pointer.

These necks looks great.

17. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Yup, that's the stuff. Be sure to look at the ReRanch forum FAQ's for the recipe. If you search the posts, you will find tons of info about the process or if you ask, someone will direct you to them.

That dye gets mixed with water to a fairly dilute solution. You will have a reasonable amount of control in applying it. Just a tip - the Vintage Amber by itself tends to look a little yellow if it is applied for a slight tint. Some of the guys mix a little brown with the amber if you're doing a medium or light shade - that's how I did the flamed neck. The quarter sawn neck in my photo is vintage amber dye only, but I applied more of it to get the deeper color. It doesn't seem to make sense - add brown for the lighter tint, amber only for the darker color - but that's the common wisdom.

You should work out your color on test blocks before staining the neck, it is time well spent.

Joe

18. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

This one is tru-oil neck and fingerboard with nitro and tint on the headstock and heel. This is on the telecaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

good good fotos gentlemen.

Prepping for neck finishing, how are you securing a handle to the base of the neck? using the drilled screw holes?

20. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

we don't need no stinking handles!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.