Truefire Lesson Suggestions....

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Texicaster, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

¡Bueno!

I've tried a number of online lessons such as Artistworks but find Truefire best bang for the buck.

Unfortunately all the lessons have cleaver names instead of hinting at direction.

I'm currently trying Campilongo's Sonic Tele and it's really stretching me out. I think I need to back up one level and concentrate on a little more basic techniques. I bought Kirchens too but more lick based so far.

So with Campilongo and Kirchen as where I'm heading for now any suggestions for a lttle more basic groundwork in these styles?

¡Gracias!

Tex

matrix likes this.
  2. ibnrushd

ibnrushd NEW MEMBER!

I liked Matt Schofield's. Good points on phrasing, rhythm, doing a lot with a little (he has a great demonstration of playing a blues using only three notes).

I think Schofied's is good if you like getting one "simple" but deep concept that you can explore infinitely. I find that type of teaching very inspiring, but he leaves it up to you to decide the exploring for yourself.

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

My 3 favourite teachers are Corey Congilio for blue introduction and Texas Blues; Jeff McErlaine for really accessible blues theory, and Jason Loughlin for country/rockabilly/surf/western swing etc.

Rhyming Orange and matrix like this.
  4. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Hola @Texicaster!

So, I feel like I can share a bit of my path with you. I have sonic tele, and my feeling was the same...."I am not ready for this!"

About 4 weeks ago, I started working through Jason Loughlin's "Country Guitar Survival Guide: Lead Edition" and it has been like the sky clearing after a cloudy week. I have been almost jumping up and down with excitement at the feeling of "this is it! this is what I needed to prep me for the Campilongo course". Also, it has been the thing that made me finally feel like I was starting to crack some of the code on "chicken picking" - something I love the sound of but even approaching it has always seemded elusive.

I have purchased other Loughlin courses, and they were alright, but nothing that made me feel like they were going to change my world. This one is different. I am really excited to work on the lessons each chance I get. And it is not just conceptual lightbulbs going off. My hands are doing new things...I feel like there is a wider spectrum of sound that I can pull out of the guitar.

Now I will also mention that the Loughlin course in turn needs a certain "base" to really get the most out of. If I had tried it being the player I was 4 years ago, I dont think it would have really helped me much.

The skills that I say would be a needed base for the Loughlin course:

- Comfort with major and minor pentatonics in all keys
    - A good understanding of triads up and down the neck - at least the major triads on all 3-string sets
    - at least a nascent ability to hit the changes on a 3-chord tune when soloing
    - some comfort with half and whole-step bends, in tune.

Also helpful if you are not just starting out with hybrid (pick and two finger) playing.

I have worked through quite a few truefire courses over the last couple of years. I would say the ones that most set me up to enjoy Jason's course were:

Matthieu Brandt - Triads and Hendrixian doublestops. This course has the best approach to triad playing I have seen. Matthieu does not seem to get as much love as other truefire instructors. And I admit that his presentation style can be a bit talky and old-school. But he lays out so much good information, and so logically.

Jeff McErlain - Essentials of chord tone soloing. Jeff is a GREAT teacher. This course really, really helped me with targeting chord tones.

If you are not comfortable with moving major and minor pentatonics with the changes, Jason Loughlin also has a pair of courses on that. They are very, dry, methodical, "guitar gym" type work - not at all the unbridled fun of the country guitar course. But quite worthwhile.

As things happened, I had just finished working through Brandt's "jump blues" course when I started the country guitar course. Jump blues is a MAMMOTH course (4+ hours), and working through it dominated my practice sessions for the better part of a year. I don't think it is a pre-requisite for the country guitar course by any stretch, but working through it did amazing things to improve my understanding of the fretboard and ability to navigate changes. I am pretty sure that it has a lot to do with how much I am able to enjoy the country guitar course.

Finally, as a general comment, the choice of instructor does make a huge difference in all of the truefire courses. I recommend "auditioning" as much as you can of potential courses (TF has a lot of free samples up for each course).

Not really for your style of music, but I would echo the comment above that Corey Congilio is a great instructor. Not sure what it is, but every time I work through a course of his, I feel like he is injecting info straight into my fingers.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but I am amazed to see a question that lines up so closely with what has been dominating my mind the last weeks!

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Tex, check out Jason Loughlin’s lesson titled Country Rhythm Guitar Survival Guide (or something like that). I’ve got the Kirchen lesson too...love it! And I find the Truefire material, video, presentation, etc. to be very well organized and high quality.

FYI, the Jason Loughlin video is on sale for 35% off...sale ends today though.

matrix likes this.
  6. Texicaster

Thanks!

Watching the intro and it looks like what I'm after!

Tex

7. Texicaster

I was just gonna ask about the Rhytm course too...

How often do they have sales? Not sure I want to buy two... but may have some Paypal cash left over...

Thanks!

Tex

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

They seem to have sales often, BUT it’s rarely everything...usually just a particular course or series. This is the first I’ve seen the Loughlin courses on sale in the 3 years I’ve been a member at Truefire.

Texicaster likes this.
  9. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Excellent foundational techniques in rhythm and lead can be found in Jason Loughlin's 1-2-3 Country and 1-2-3 Rockabilly.

10. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Funny, I bought 1-2-3 Country and couldn't get on with it. I find the survival guide far, far superior. But maybe that has to do with where I was at when I got it. Might be time for a revisit.

11. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Yeah, the Survival Guides are much more advanced and offer many more techniques. I can't see you gaining much if any thing from the 1-2-3 courses if you have completed the Survival Guides.

I wouldn't call the 1-2-3 courses beginner courses, they're more introduction courses to a particular genre offering three different rhythms and three different methods of soloing with each soloing method having three different licks and their variations.

12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I second the others who pointed you to Jason Loughlin (who is, incidentally, a member here). IMHO, his Truefire intros (1-2-3 Country, and the Country Guitar Survival Guide - Rhythm) are essential for anyone who didn't get taught country guitar at home.

ibnrushd likes this.
  13. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Checking out a number of these. Just jumped on the discounted annual all access with a bonus discount code. Looks like I have a year to figure out who I really like.

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.